1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for Pbass pickup upgrade.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dustybottoms, May 13, 2011.

1. Hi there. I have a mim pbass with stock pickups and a bartonini premamp with a passive active push/pull switch. I am pretty happy with how it sounds now in passive mode and ok with the active mode. I am basically trying to make it 2 basses in one. I want to maintain the passive p tone and I want a really bright snappy active tone when in active. It does that ok right now in active but I want even a little bit more. I know that upgrading the pups in the mim pbass is pretty common. What would you suggest to try to get the versatile sounds i'm going for? Thanks.

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    If you like the passive tone, it seems like more of a preamp issue than a pickup issue. Maybe you would like a pre that provides more "color," but I have no clue which one that would be. You might get there with a pickup swap too, but then you might not like the passive tone as much. Something like a Nordstrand or Lindy Fralin might work, because they have classic tone but more clarity than typical Fender pickups. That clarity could translate into an active tone you'd prefer to what you have now.