1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for PJ Bass with flatwounds

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RadioMasterDude, Jan 25, 2021.

1. I did a quick search and couldn't find any answers on this specific topic, so I'm posting a thread.

I've had a passive Fender PJ Bass for a few months now, and I really like it. It's become my main bass. I decided to string it up with a set of GHS Precision Flats, and I'm a big fan of that old school thump that occurs when the P pickup is solo'd.

However, the stock J pickup isn't cutting it for me (it's a Fender Noiseless J pickup in the bridge position). When I would still use roundwounds, I liked the P+J pickup combination for that articulate tone, but with flatwounds it sounds pretty weak IMO. Not to mention the output of the J pickup is way lower than the P pickup and I never use the J on its own because of its thin sound.

I would like to hear your recommendations in pickups that give a good J and P+J sound for flatwound strings. I should mention that I like how the stock Fender P Bass pickup sounds in this setup, and I wouldn't want to move too far away from a traditional P Bass tone for the P pickup.

Thanks in advance!

P. S. I don't live in the US, so boutique pickups are harder to get.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  2. #1. Raise your J pickup!

Snaxster likes this.
  3. The thing is, I raised the J pickup as high as it could go without the screws going higher than the pickup. I just might add extra foam in the cavity to raise the J pickup even more...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021