Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for recordings of Percy Heath.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Alan Vorse, Jan 11, 2006.

1. I've had limited exposure to him. Love his tone, and swing.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A personal favorite is INTERPLAY - Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Freddie Hubbard and Philly Joe.

3. I really enjoy Percy's " A Love Song", you may too.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Any of the MJQ records would do nicely, too.

5. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Miles Davis - "Bag's Groove"

the rest of the band is OK on that one, too...

6. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery"
    with Tommy Flanagan and Albert Heath

7. Ditto. The Ruggeri never sounded sweeter.

8. Any good starting points?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've heard some snippets from random albums, but only own the CD simply called "The Modern Jazz Quartet," with all four pictured on the cover and was originally released in 1957. For reference, the first track is a medley of four or five tunes ending with Body and Soul. Do keep in mind that this was early in the MJQ career (if not their first album, I'm not sure) so Percy's playing isn't as developed as it would've been on, say, Interplay by Bill Evans or his own solo release, "A Love Song" (rel. 04, I think.)

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah there's a really long and interesting interview with him in a recent Jazz Improv magazine - where he says how initially in the MJQ John Lewis wrote out all his bass lines and he didn't have so much freedom - it was more about the interplay of piano and vibes - but as they went on, he just got chord charts to make up his own lines.

But he explained how he appreciated that Lewis was into Bach and felt the bass lines were very important to his conception of a new "classical" Jazz small group that played in concert halls as much as bars or clubs .

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    And it was always Milt Jackson's contention that MJQ stood for Milt Jackson Quartet.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In that interview Percy says :

"So he(Lewis) brought in some names and we chose the Modern Jazz Quartet, which happened to be the same initials as the Milt Jackson Quartet." :D

He then goes on to tell an anecdote about how John Lewis told him he didn't know enough to be able to play the music he was going to write and that he should get some lessons...

So Percy went to Mingus who couldn't believe this ..etc.etc . ;)

13. One of my favorites is the sound track made in Europe called 'No Sun in Venice" That catchy tune 'The Golden Striker' That everyone qoutes, including The Ahmad Jamal trio.