Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for replacing a Fender bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by um... yeah, May 26, 2004.

1. I'm looking for suggestions on a new replacement bridge; I've been going with the Badass II for every bass I've ever had and they are great, but the initial setup is a bit of a headache (I use a small triangular finger file). Is there anything as good or better out there? Just curious, is all.

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I put a Gotoh 201 (warmoth.com) on my 75 Re-issue Jazz and it was super nice. It mounted right on with no mod's and are much cheaper. I think I paid $25 for mine. I liked that I didnt have to file the saddles. Plus, the fit and finish on the Gotoh is top notch.

Hope this helps..

3. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I was/am a Badass fan too, but since I started using the Hipshot bridge on my Roscoe, I think that is the best bridge I've used.

I love being able to pop the strings out of the end instead of threading them through a hole. (I'm a boiler) :)

ABMs also look real nice.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hipshot. Take your pick...style A or B. ;)

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Badass Bass II.

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It's probably personal opinion because i sure haven't tested any bridges to see how well they function scientifically. Odds are though any of the bridges people suggest are good ones. How about Wilkinson, i've only seen these bridges used on foreign basses, anybody wanna confirm whether they really are the business?

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I second that!

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey JPJ, do you know which Hipshot bridge (if any)mounts right onto a standard Fender bass, using the 5 screw holes that are there?

9. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I am still a BadAss, dig?

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You saw a quite a few basses in the early 90's that used Wilkinson bridges (Roscoe & Carvin). Their bass bridge was a slick design. It consisted of an aluminum extrusion cut to length with individual saddles that slid onto tracks on the extrusion. He could make a 4,5,6,7,8.....string bridge just by cutting the extrusion longer. It also allowed adjustment to string spacing by sliding the saddles on the extrusion track and locking them down with an allen screw when in the desired position. I've not seen any of his bridges any where in the last 4-5 years. I remember Bass Player making some negative comments about his bass bridges once in a product review (sharp edges). Next thing I know, Wilkinson bridges disappear! Funny thing is several issues prior to that review Bass Player raved about his bridge design! Oh the power of the fickle press! :(
    I did an install of one of his bridges on a pre-Gibson Tobias in the 90's. The bridge needed to be raised in order to work. I called their US factory (he sounded English?) and offered to mill down 2 pieces of aluminum extrusion (to use as a spacer) and send it to me. A week later the spacers were delivered to my house with an invoice.....NO CHARGE!
    How often does that happen today?

Back to topic....
    HipShot Type A or ABM. Great bridges! I'd definetely go with a top load! I hate the feed thru type bridges!

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've had both the BadAss2 and Gotoh 201 bridge on my Fender P-Bass Special. (Right now it's the Gotoh) I used the BA2 for a couple of years and just thought I'd try out the Gotoh because I bought it brand new for $15! The thing I like about the Gotoh is that you don't have to do any filing for the strings. I honestly can't tell any difference in sustain between the two. Both were a HUGE improvement over the stock Fender bridge. I was sort of thinking about trying out one of the Hipshot's next.

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Is there a name brand replacement for a Fender bridge that accomadates the string-thru body option?

13. Thanks for all the help guys
    The Hipshot does, in the picture you can see the string holes behind the countersunk holes.
    Hipshot looks like a winner but I'm not too crazy about making four more holes in between the five already in my bass :meh:

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

BadAss or Hipshot

15. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    pics of the Naimishbridge?

16. There are NO pics of this bridge. This bridge, AFAIK, only exists in the mind of this moron that can't seem to follow the rules here.

In fact, he has so blatantly broken the "No Spam" rule that h is being deleted right and left and I, for one, am considering a longer vacation for him. :mad:

He's a fraud and a charlatan without the nuts to even respond to our emails about his spam.

17. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    beautiful