Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Senegalese Bassists/music/Bands

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Feb 20, 2006.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I need to run over some material this evening that has a West African/Senegalese blues feel to it and I tend to do a very generic african-esque bass line when asked...

Could someone suggest Bassists/music/Bands that I can look -into/research?

THX!

2. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi j-raj!

I understand your problem and I've always referred in such cases to Paul Westwoods "Bass Bible".
    It's a 285 pages 2 CD work that covers almost all styles. The African section includes North Africa and Middle East, Somalia, Mali, Guinea, Cameroon, Congo, Simbabwe and South Africa and Soweto.

Try to get hold of that book, the ISBN-Nr. is 3-927190-84-5

best regards

-JR

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have some really nice stuff by Baba Maal, and I found a review of the Early Years disc:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/world/reviews/maal_best.shtml

And if you haven't checked out Youssou N'dour then you gotta. He has an amazing voice and there is planty of bass to keep you interested. I recently saw his live DVD from London and it is top notch.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Babaa Maal and Youssou N'Dour are the two biggest Senegalese stars. I imagine that their recordings at Amazon or itunes will have soundclips available.

There is a book available called 'The Rough Guide to the Music of Senegal and Gambia' that you might be able to find in a bookshop to take a look through.

This is an interesting link with mp3s:
    http://www.geocities.com/jbenhill/mp3.html

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks guys!! I'm gonna do a tad bit of shedding on the feel a little this evening before their weekly gig... It's like a paid (and fed and beveraged) rehearsal.

... this is why I love TB as a collectively great resource!

6. the only one that i know of is orchestra Baobob...actually i don't even know if that is the right spelling, or even the correct name...either way, i know that they were one VH1 when Trey anastasio and Dave matthews went to west africa...they were pretty good