1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for some kind of preamp to go into a PA system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Torhaa, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Torhaa

Torhaa

Jan 16, 2008
    Norway
    I play the guitar, but I have been intrigued by owning a bass as of lately.. However, when it comes to amplifying the thing, I am very unsure.. The situations where I might be playing bass will probably sport a PA system. Therefore I wonder what to have between the bass and the mixing board..

The Guitar PODXT with the Bass expansion pack is an option.. However, I don't need all the extra bells and whistles; the compressor is the only thing I'd be using besides the amp-modelling of the POD...

If there are other preamps that you would like to suggest, I'm ears open. However, these are some considerations for my concern:

- the preamp must have the ability to be supplied by ~230V.

- I really like the warm and deep, but defined bass tones that Stefan Lessard from the Dave Matthews Band and Adam Clayton (especially on U2's 'Pop') achieve.

- price range around 200-300$. Preferably on the lower end of that range of course, but throw in your suggestions anyway..

Thanks..

Edit: forgot about this factor.... It's probably not all that easy to practice when you have only got a bass and a standard preamp..?

2. Torhaa

Torhaa

Jan 16, 2008
    Norway
    I have been searching a bit around, and the Sansamp Bass Driver DI looks neat, so does the EBS Microamp, although that one is a bit expensive (yes, I realize they lack a compressor).

Would it be possible to use headphones on the Sansamp in any way?

Generally for my whole purchase.. I'll primarily have something to play for myself at home, but if need be, I can use when playing live..

3. Torhaa

Torhaa

Jan 16, 2008
    Norway
    No?

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I haven't played one myself, but I would probably look long and hard into picking up a sansamp in your situation. They're reasonably priced, very portable and people speak very highly of them.

I had the line 6 bass pod xtlive. Some people like it, I was never very happy. I'm not into taking a lot of time to tweak my settings. I just couldn't find the tones I wanted in it.

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    You might also consider a tube DI. I've used a Summit TD-100 for this.

If you want more controls, check out ART Pro Channel-- parametric EQ as well as both optical and tube compressors on board; not too expensive (they can be had new for less than $300). These sound really good as a bass pre.

6. Torhaa

Torhaa

Jan 16, 2008
    Norway
    All right. Thanks for your input.. I'll take it into consideration..