Suggestions For Sound Improving Equipment

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMSterling, Feb 19, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    At the minute I play my Musicman Sterling through my Trace Combo, and thats it. For gigs, I generally rent the head/cabs (although I have the money to buy my own now).

With the exception of buying better quality amplification, and cables, what other pieces of equipment are worth adding to your arsenal (I'm thinking along the line of compressors etc).

The tech side of bass is definately my weak point, so lets get some advice from you lot! The price range can be as cheap or as high as you like, at this time I'm just looking for suggestions! :D

Andy :)
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Seems you're asking about equipment for gigging, so I've moved the thread to the amp forum. You'll get more nibbles here.
  3. rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    I got a lot of mileage out of the Fisham Power Pro EQ Bass model. It's a really nice unit and costs less than $200. It can really beef up, and fill out your sound if you're playing through an average rig. I used it all the time when I was playing through my Hartke stuff. However, I haven't touched it since I got my EA's just not necessary. The EA head and cab gives me all that I need. However I know some that use the Fishman even with more "high end" bass setups.

In the end there's no sub for improving your head/cab, but the Fishman will do a good job to augment your sound IMO.
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have to second the Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Bass. It's not only an EQ but also a compressor and DI box all in one. It improved my sound more than some equipment I paid a lot more for. I would buy this FIRST!!!!!
  5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    DBX Compressor - A 166 if you can find one.
    Avalon DI (think it is called a 5U or something, someone can clarify this one for me, I am too lazy to look it up right now)

Beyond that, it's a matter of preference and budget (do you use efx? That is a whole other ball of worms)

Personally I think every bassist should have a good compressor.
  6. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I'll second the DBX 166

On the more affordable side of DI's the Countryman Type 85 is a standard. Around $200 I think

This may be aparent to you, but a power conditioner for your rig is always helpful, furman or the like, not the over hyped Monster stuff. $120-300.

If you want to be really handy get a cable tester. Stick both ends in it, press the button and it tells you if its passing signal or not. $50-200

Get your own mic for your cabinet. $100-?????

Road cases for equipment, spendy but hella good investment.
  7. More speakers.

Enough to do the job without having to drive the amp into clipping or distortion. There is no shame in having (4) 15s if that is what it takes to do the job.