1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass V Special

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by claytitan, Mar 30, 2015.

1. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I recently purchased one of these. I like the bass. I needed another 5 string to play around with and the price was right. I generally like the sound of the pickups but I have a couple issues. I recently played a location that was a quiet laid back atmosphere and I noticed some noise from the bridge (single coil) pickup. The P pickup was dead silent of course so I end up just turning the bridge off and placing P style. Also I am concerned about the active circuit in the bass. I don't know why but I am always concerned that dang battery is going to go dead and leave me hanging. I would rather just keep it simple at use passive pickups! What suggestions do you have? I am open to completely pulling all the pickups and rewiring if that is what it takes but any simpler suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. xOriginalNinjax

xOriginalNinjax

Sep 21, 2006
    IN
    It's very easy to take the Jaguar basses from active to passive.
    I just rewired one of the 4 string versions of that exact bass about 3 weeks ago. Wired up series/parallel switch, v/v/t. Sounded fantastic and really helps the bass. I find the active electronics in the Squier jags to be really restrictive and chokes the tone of the bass a lot. The pickups sound great as-is after a rewire.

dsteinschneider likes this.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The battery in an active bass is not just going to die on you, it will slowly start to loose headroom until it becomes distorted. It really isn't a problem you need to worry about, the bass isn't just going to quit working halfway through a set. That being said, those pre amps aren't terrible but they aren't great either, so going passive wouldn't be the worst decision you have ever made. Putting a split coil Jazz pickup like a Dimarzio in the bridge pickup would be good idea.

4. I like the P pickup on my Squier VM Jag 5 but the J pickup seems noisy and "weak". I would like to try what you recommend before replacing the pickups.

If I replace I'm thinking of the Aquilar AG 5J-70 or perhaps the AG 5J-HC. I'm open to considering Seymour Duncan, Fralin or any other PU maker someone thinks would be best in this situation.

Aguilar recommends replacing both pickups which I'm sure wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for any comments

Zoobiedood likes this.