1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for stage moves?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rickenbrad, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Rickenbrad

Rickenbrad

Aug 13, 2007
    Hey everyone,
    I know this has been in a few other posts, but i need some stage moves.

I usually don't move at all, i just look at my fingers making sure i don't make a mistake (Entwistle style), but I feel like i need to entertain a little more. For this next show I'm playing 90's music (Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Incubus)

no one else in the band moves around.....at all.

So yea, the shows in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    really, just be yourself. anything else would look unnatural and forced.

3. MistaMarko

MistaMarko Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    walk and stand by the bass drum sometimes. cliche bass player thing to do. but hey, what works works.

4. Fign00t3n

Fign00t3n

Feb 18, 2008
    side to side head banging [​IMG]

5. Dunne

Dunne

Sep 3, 2006
    Illinois, USA
    I say try this move out :D:bag::bassist::
    crazy.
    (thats not me if anyone was wondering :p)

6. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    do that hardcore headbanging thing where you go really far forward and really far back, that can look tough during one of your gui****s several solos... that or you can try to duck walk, that gets a kick out of older fans ive found...

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think this is called the bowel move.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yeah, it looks like he's taking the browns to the superbowl.:D

9. Shroom

Shroom

Dec 12, 2006
    Like someone else said, the best way to go is to be yourself. Act like it's not your band playing the show, and do what you would do then. I play in a 3rd-wave ska/punkish band, so most of the time I'm either groovin to the music, jumping up and down, paying attention to my playing at the tricky parts, and every once in a while I'll skank or headbang. I generally do this stuff when I'm watching other bands too, only with more dancing, so I hope that gets the point across.

Oh yeah, and I have a wireless system, so I tend to jump off the stage and get the crowd to dance with me. I'm still working on the scissor kick :hyper:

and i just realized this post is in the humour section, not the band management. guess i took it too seriously :D

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Dance out of time with the music. That's always good. Or lock your gaze on one of your female audience members and do repeated pelvic thrusts at her. Of course, you can always see just how still you really can be, strike a mannequin pose and hold it for a song or three.

11. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    If nobody else in the band moves around, you're going to look silly(er) doing it, especially if you're forcing it. If you want it to look cool, talk with the rest of the band and get some moves you can do together, practice them and get comfortable with it. IMHO that really impresses a crowd more than everyone doing their own thing and much more than just one guy running circles around a bunch of guitar-playing trees.

12. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002

That is scary to think that kind of phenomonon exists

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Um, have you considered fiber supplements ? :ninja:

14. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    i think you can try to be like whatever you want but when it comes down to it. you have your own style when your up there.

stage performance is a pretty personal thing in my mind. you can get moves from other people but you will always move like you... if that makes sense.

just go up there. be easy. dont be tense. and have alot of fun.

15. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Good stage move = Playing the bass

16. i disagree, if i see a band doing all the same moves at the same time i roll my eyes and think theyre a bit lame, especially the everybody jump at the same time move.

some coordination is good, but syncronised moves are cheese. not the good kind.

for stage moves see steve harris. hes cool.

17. Great stage move for a juke box.

If I buy a ticket and all I see is fretboard staring, I'm gonna be pissed.

18. I like how he has a MM jazz

19. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I always bust out the "rocker pose"; just stand, with your feet about shoulder width apart, and rock back and forth.;)

20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I once saw the Mothers when Flo and Eddie were in the band. At a flick of Zappa's finger all the players threw themselves on their backs and wiggled their legs in the air for just a couple of free-form bars within the song. That got a good reaction. Frank loved cheese.