1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for SVP-Pro settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hey I'm going to be getting my SVP-Pro tomorrow in the mail and wanted to know if you guys had any settings for some pretty sweet tones... either clean or gritty, whatever's cool. Maybe some advice on the mid selector switch, bass/mid/treble, etc.

I'll be using a Marcus Miller Jazz, and a SVT610HLF

Thanks

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    There are some basic tone settings in the owners manual which should give you a starting point.

I'd suggest to set the input so that it flashes red a moderate amount when you dig in, then add Drive to taste. For starters, I'd recommend not using the solid-state graphic EQ; just adjust the (tube) rotary EQ to taste. There doesn't seem to be a "flat" setting on the SVP-Pro, so just keep turning the knobs until you've got a tone you like....

3. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I bypass the graphic eq also. I have the drive around 12:00. For a clean , but warm sound, turn drive all the way counter clockwise. There are so many possiblities, you should be able to find your own sound pretty easily.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Excellent advice!!

5. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    I've been watching your frustration and enthusiasm in finding (and waiting for) an SVP Pro over the last couple of weeks. It's exactly what I went through a few weeks ago.
    I also bypass the graphic. It's funny how unnecessary it really is. The tube driven EQ is awesome, rich, full and simple.
    Hope yours is quiet. Mine wasn't, and I was immediately bummed. Tried many tube swaps and ended up putting a 12au7 in V5. It was the only thing that would tame the buzz. It is now sweet and silent, and nothing is compromized but the buzz. The headroom came down a hair, but not too much.
    You're going to love that baby! I had to leave mine at my rehearsal place last night, and I felt like I left one of my kids behind (sad, I know).

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My standard for rock:

- gain set so the clip light blinks quickly on your hardest notes
    - drive just past noon
    - ultra-lo on
    - bass noon-1PM
    - mid level 2-3PM
    - mid freq 2
    - hi to taste

everything else off. Push up the master to at least half way before setting your volume with the power amp's attenuators. I love the way the master control saturates as you push it toward (but not into) distortion.

One of the keys to getting a low noise sound from the SVP is pushing up both gain stages near the brink.

7. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I use almost the exact same settings. I was surprised that it sounds alot better and "meaner" with the ultra-lo pushed in.

8. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Aaaaaahahhaa it finally came in yesterday, I really really like this preamp.. still have a lot of messing around to do w/ it as far as gain, drive, and master go... one question

Do the tubes amplify the signal going through the "Gain" or "master" or both? I know one is input and one is output but where can you get the tubes to distort and sound good?

9. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Banned

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    I don't use a whole lot of distortion, but I am pretty sure that you crank the gain so the red light is on all the time, then adjust the drive from there. Keep the master at normal. Anyone else???? The manual says something about that, also.

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Both. The rotary EQ is tube driven as well. Mess with cranking the gain and master individually and together to achieve various flavors of overdrive, and thats before you even start messing with the drive control (which is really just an EQ contour knob).

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

As stated: set Gain so that the clip light is flashing... or even full on, if you want a lot of overdrive. Then set the Drive control to taste. Use the Master control to set your overall volume once you've got the tone you want.

12. pogipoints

pogipoints Custom User Title Holder

Dec 5, 2005
    Atlanta
    With the SVP-Pro I've noticed that as you raise the Master level, volume increases, but the noise floor seems to stay at the same level. Thus IME you get better SNR when master is past 12o'clock.

I used to set master at around 2oclock, with reasonably "normal" settings at the preamp.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1 that is the key to getting good sounds from this pre.