Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for Teacher in NYC area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by swingfingers, Apr 4, 2003.

1. I am looking for a bass teacher in the New York City area. Years ago I studied a bit with Michael Moore and Todd Coolman but have had to take a 6 year hiatus due to difficulties with RSI. New York must offer many well-qualified teachers so I am hoping to find one who may:

1) Teach German bow (I need a lot of work in this area)
    2) Teach body mechanics on the bass and be willing to work with someone on this (important due to my RSI issues) AND…
    3) Teach somewhat nearby (I live in Park Slope, Brooklyn – obviously I will have to be flexible, but the closer the better)

I play jazz and would prefer someone who is grounded in both jazz and classical realms but am open as I am mainly trying to get my arco, shifting and intonation into shape with a focus on ergonomics and good body use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Thanks, Ed, for the quick and great response. Sounds like great people to reach out to.

I am also interested if anyone has any experience with Jules Hirsch. A bio-mechanical therapist I have been to gave me his name. I believe he is with Brooklyn College Conservatory of Music. Has anyone heard of/know anything about him or had any experiences with his teaching?