Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions For The Best Combo/Monitor w/DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasper383, Mar 6, 2006.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The band settings I am usually in are not too loud (mostly jazz/blues 4-5 players). I don't see needing tremendous volumes at any point in the future, and if I do, my guess is that there will be a PA to help.
    I am looking for a combo that will sound good, have enough volume to be heard as a monitor on stage, and have a good line out to a PA. The Tech21 Landmarks look good (light, too), but I have yet to hear one. I have liked the Roland combos I have tried as well.

Any other suggestions for amps that fit this need? I suspect there are a lot out there.

2. Some might consider them to be cheap, but the Ibanez SW100 has worked ok for me so far. Eventually, I'll replace/augment it with another cabinet/amp, but for now, it's been ok.

3. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I had an Ashdown MagMon-12. Great power in a kickback box. Completely killed all the retail crap out there. 200 watts plus a speaker out and a DI out. Something like $300.

5. Ashdown MAg 300 C115. With an extension cab hooked up it will produce 300 w it has DI out. I think it is around 400 us.

6. Pneuma

Pneuma

Feb 14, 2004
    Arkansas
    My response is this, why do you need a combo? If you're going to have decent monitors, just run a preamp or something (POD?) to get your tone, and run it into the board.

We've been running monitors on-stage for a year and a half now, and I've found that having my own cab on stage generally just causes the sound-guy more hassle than it's worth. As long as you've got a decent monitor that can handle your needed volume, spend your money elsewhere.

If you just need a general rig, you can always get a separate head and cab, that way you can leave the cab at home and just tote the head with you when you've got PA support. Less weight, and more choice.

IMO.

P.

[edit] But since you did ask, Peavey BAM combos will do it all. They are kinda heavy, but sound good, and give you a TON of flexibility. They also have pre/post EQ balanced outs, so you won't need adapters to run them into the mixer, and you can still keep the modeled tones if you like. They are also going way cheap nowadays.[/edit]

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    +1
    Its worked for me for 2 years