Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions for this situation....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Well I'm a high school student... I work part time at a gas station, get about 80cdn dollars a week. I cuttently have about 2000cdn in the bank. I desperatly need a new bass. I'm not a huge bassist yet, still playing a piece of junk.

Now, I want a Music Man Bongo, but my mom is telling me I will regret it. I need a car, going to university next year etc, maybe a new amp to replace my 25 watt practice...She says the 1375cdn for a NEW bongo, is not a wise use of my 2000 dollars...what if i lose interest? she says. I am one of those people though....

Mind you i've never played a Bongo, or even felt one... BUT I have played a sterling and it was perfect with the exception that i want a littler bit of a deeper flatter tone, which i hear the bongo will give me.

What do you guys think? To bongo or to look into something cheaper, like the 500-700 range. My only problem with that is the poor man pays twice... if i buy a cheap one i'll spend that 600 then a year down the road i'll be blowing 1375 on my bongo...

2. Car will eat your money, even after you buy one.

Personally I say dont get anything...

3. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Going out with new friends at college will eat up that $2000 in a semister or two. If you join a band and NEED a new bass, then make a move. Nothing sucks more than sitting in the dorm on Fri or Sat night because you are broke, or so I've been told, I always worked in summers and had plenty of cash for college fun.

4. hmm, so you guys are kinda telling me to consider doing nothing... just hanging on to my Renegade. That is doable, I figured I would learn better on a quality instrument though.

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a firm believer in the fact that the bass doens't make the player...

6. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You should also check threads on Bongo neck -- closer to a Stingray than to the Sterling you liked.

7. Just get an OLP for now, if anything. You are going to need wheels for university. And you aint going to get much snapage without wheels.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    +100. Try the new OLP Tony Levin signature bass. Much less money and just as playable. Also I don't know what type of car that you can get for $2k canadian but a cheap car can easily eat up more money than you gave for it in maintanence.

9. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Buy used. On eBay, if you're patient and careful (i.e., check feedback ratings carefully), you can get yourself a good bass at 30-35% off the street price, and you shouldn't have much trouble selling it at the same price when you have more money and are ready to upgrade -- and by that time,the Bongo may have been around long enough that you can find a nice used one as well.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    YOu need a better amp.

11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'd stick with your Renegade a while longer. There are definitely worse basses...I played one in a band six years ago.

If you join a band, you'll need a louder amp, so buy that if or when you need it.

In the meantime, I think you should save your money.

Marshall

12. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    I think maybe you should save the money, but if you do get another bass BUY USED!!!!!!! I always buy used now. I am young too and that is part of the way the I have gotten all those basses you can see in my public profile. Used basses can save you even more than 35% sometimes. Used basses don't lose their value and since you will probably be in a dorm room you won't have to worry about a drunk roommate tripping over it and scratching the hell out of your nice new Bongo, the bass would already have some wear.

13. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think you should meet a girl that plays bass and has tons of money---uhh and drives a bmw. Maybe some VIP s daughter at guitar center???? Maybe a motorcycle? Scooter?roller skates? I would have bought the bass back then in my younger days! I was fond of riding a bike. :eyebrow:

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you're not in a band, and you're heading off to college, there's no reason to get a new, higher $$$$ bass. Any bass you take to school will likely get damaged by friends who pick it up all the time, and possibly stolen. You can learn on your Renegade just as well as a Bongo, don't fool yourself into believing otherwise.

Get yourself a cheap headphone practice amp, keep playing, and be proud.

15. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    Buy the bongo! I'm in college (and broke), but having something that you really want and love to do is a great way to relieve the mountains of stress you get in college. Besides, after college your whole life is wake up, work, and sleep...until you get old. :bassist:

16. proc83

proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    Oh yeah, and don't get a car. It will make your college experience miserable! You'll spend tons of money, always be giving people rides...and eventually end up with a DUI. NOT FUN! Just take the bus!

17. College stressful? Oh gee. Which bar shouuld I hit tonight? Which 11:00 early morning class should I register for? Which girl should I invite to my dorm?

I miss that kind of stress.

18. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    You may be you should upgrade your amp , then look into a Musicman SUB . You maybe able able to get both used and you will still have some $$ over for other things.

19. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Different strokes for different folks... but when it comes to a bass, I can truly say that this is something I would never do.

It's akin to buying a used car from a photograph on the Internet, without taking it for even a test drive..... :rollno:

20. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Mother know best!

I think the best advice is try to get a USED quality bass-if not-wait it out. See if you can pick up a few bucks for your old one, and take a look on Ebay.

You'll find something out there, as well, have some money for school.

I think due to the fact you posted here, you are not ready to make the decision to buy the Bongo over your education priorities.

Plus after a year or 2 of school, those Bongo's will be cheaper-especially used..