Suggestions for Two Walkabout Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Racermech, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    365BB38D-BC59-4D18-8991-7412DEE1E61B.jpeg Hello All!

I am currently the owner of a 12” Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout and 12” Walkabout extension cab. Both cabs are 4 ohm cabs.

About a year ago, the my Walkabout amp has some problems and ended up needing the power section repaired. After the repair, the amp went out again with a bit more damage. I take full responsibility for the first blowup (running at 2 ohms for too long I’m too warm of an area) and then the second blowup was due to some spotty repair work done by a local shop.

Fast forward to present day and I have the dead amp, combo amp cab, and extension cab. The cost to repair the amp is somewhere around +$400 and after the last year I am pretty fun shy about putting that money into a repair. So, this has me thinking...

Option A: Get a reasonably priced power amp able to drive both cabs separately. I can run my Two Notes Le Bass preamp into the power amp and hit both cabs with some reasonable amperage.

Option B: Get an amp able to do two ohms safely. Top contenders would be a Subway 800+ or Quilter Bass Block.

Option C: Try to sell the amp and cabs to get something completely new.

What does the world of Talkbass think?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    More Way Huge! :D

Have you tried an authorized repair center? It might cost less for the repairs.

Otherwise, I think I'd look at the D-800+ you mentioned. What are the cabs rated at in terms of watts?

Racermech likes this.
  3. WoodyJ

WoodyJ Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas City
    You might consider a D-800+ and a 1x15 Subway cabinet. Unless you need ear-spliiting stage volume, that setup will make you very happy. Later on you can add a Subway 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 if really needed. But the 8 ohm 1x15 alone is pretty darn amazing with the D-800+ (or even a D-800) running at 400 watts.

After the WA head is repaired, you can get good money for it and the extension cabinet. The extension cabs are getting harder and harder to find on the used market.

I also have a WA 12 that I use in the studio and I will never, ever sell it. Nothing else matches that tone but the Mesa D-800 series amps can get very close.

Racermech likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wouldn't recommend the Subway amps with the 4 ohm walkabout cabinets, enough power to destroy them with an accident. Even with the 8 ohm versions some reasonable care is recommend.

Racermech and BadExample like this.
  5. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    Unfortunately the authorized repair center in my area is the one that quoted the +$400 repairs. The only real course of action for them is to send the amp back to California for repairs and necessary updates. My Walkabout amp is a very early production model.

I believe the cabs are rated for 300W

6. Racermech

Racermech

Apr 10, 2007
    Thank you so much for the help and feedback! It definitely is a concern throwing that much power at a cabinet rated for less. It almost seems like it is better to just get a smaller and less powerful amp to send to the cabs.

7. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

What's the cost to swap the drivers out to 8 ohm and have the head repaired? I used that combo for a good while and it sounds killer.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    You will need to contact customer service and have them check for you. The factory is open Mon-Thurs.

9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    I third option is to just sent the cab's to me.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021