Suggestions for upgrading a Warwick Streamer

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassaussie, Mar 28, 2004.

1. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001

I'd appreciate any suggestions you gys could make with regards to a Warwick Streamer Stage I.

It's a 2001 model, and has the MEC pickups and 3 band EQ.

Basically, I've come to a point with the bass where I'm really not into the sound at all. It's too "scooped" sounding, it has no real beef to it at all. I've experimented with the bass using an outboard preamp and running the bass passive, and this certainly improved things, but I think a change of pickups would make a difference.

I don't want to sell it for sentimental reasons, so that's not an option at present.

Some things I've considered so far -

EMG - purely because that's what Warwick used to use
    Barts - I know Warwick offer them as an option, and I really wish I'd taken that option when I bought the bass!
    Basslines - Another option Warwick offered.

So, suggestions?
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've heard nothing but wonderful things from people who haved dropped Basslines pups into their Warwicks. Ask David M. Wilson about this, he went through a pickup shootout using Barts, EMG's and Basslines before settling on the Basslines with a Bart pre. He basically said the all Barts setup was very thick and wolly with no definition. give the Basslines pups a try man, a lot of great bassists have gone this route, Dirk Lance being one and everyone agrees pretty much that he has an amazing tone. Good luck to you sir!

3. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    weird, I must be in the minority that likes the way MEC pickups sound. I've got a pair in my SX Jazz that are just waiting for me to find my solder and get it up and running. I'm gonna be running it passive and into my Bart NTMB once I get it turned into an outboard preamp(using a Hammond 1590BB case).
  4. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Thanks for the replies.

Corwin81, I guess it's like anything, some things work for some people, but aren't right for others. You're lucky in that the MEC pickups work for you.

I also tried a set of MEC Jazz pickups in a FrankenJazz I threw together, and the bass sounded okay, but nothing special (they were run active, but without a preamp). Just on a hunch, I decided to throw an old set of Tokai pickups from the 80s I had into the bass, and the difference was unbelievable - the bass had so much more balls with the passive setup, I was just amazed at how weak the MECs sounded in comparison. This experiment was the thing that kinda tipped me off that MECs weren't the right pickups for me.