1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions for upgrading my rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the_fooj, Jul 28, 2007.

1. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Alright, so currently I'm running an SVT 3-Pro into an Avatar 210 (8 ohms, 500 watts) and a 112 (8 ohms, 250 watts).

I've run into a problem in my last couple gigs and rehearsals where my head is clipping a lot, and I guess it's because I'm running 475 watts into a speaker combination that can handle up to 750 watts. I notice myself turning both the gain and master up to 3 o' clock just to be heard.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I need more watts in my power section. At this same time, I'm also wondering whether I want a different type of sound, such as maybe GK or something else. If I stay with the Ampeg sound, I'd probably ditch the head and get an SVP Pro and some power amp. If I decide to go with another sound, I'd either check out the GK 1001RB or 2001RB heads. Or, a third option is to use some other preamp into a power amp. So, I've got a few questions about these options:

1. If I go with the SVP Pro + power amp choice, about how many watts would be recommended? Btw, I would like to be able to use just one of the cabs for smaller jazz gigs.

2. If I go with the GK heads, which one would be more appropriate, the 1001 or 2001? I've read that GK amps are usually very loud for their wattage, but I've also read that it's good to have at least twice the wattage of all your speakers combined.

3. If I go for a preamp + power amp combination other than the Ampeg, what are some preamps I should check out? I've read good things about the Sansamp stuff, and I'm really interested in trying out some of the BBE preamps too. Any other recemendations would be good.

PS. My budget would be about $900, maybe $1000. I realize that the the 2001RB would be more expensive than that, so I'd have to save up a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

2. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    bump?

3. First of all, do a search on the SVT 3 PRO - there is a lot to that head for making it sound louder. Find out if different settings do it for you for volume needs.

As for all of your other questions, go to a nearby Samash and Guitar Center, setup credit cards with each of the stores, charge everything you want to try (to the cards) and take advantage of the 30 day return policy. Try everything out on your rig in your conditions. This is the best way to figure out what will work for your situation. I did the same thing with my rig over several months - I now have new gear and I don't want anything else. You quickly figure out what you need and what you don't need. Take care of the gear when you try it out!

4. U can get a fair bit more volume outta the 3pro by switching in the Graphic EQ(leave it flat if U don't want any tone shaping from it) & putting the Graphic EQ's level slider UP!!!!!
    THIS'LL GIVE u A GOOD AMOUNT MORE HEADROOM WITH THE 3pro -whoops caps lock!!- I had one a cuppla years ago & when I was shown this-it gave the amp a whole new lease of life for me! Worth a try-let me know how itg goes-if U haven't tried this already of course!

5. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I searched for the threads but I only found one with information on how to make to the SVT 3-Pro louder, but I know I've seen a couple before. Do you have any links to other threads?

I've done this before, but it just doesn't give me enough. Also, I don't feel comfortable with the limit LED flashing too much.

Also, I've noticed most of the people saying the SVT 3-Pro has ample volume are either using the SVT410HLF or an 810, which have a lot of speaker area. I used to use an SVT410HLF myself, but the weight just got annoying as I started having to move around more often. That was a huge cab and it had more speaker area than 2 10's and a 12, so I guess that's where most of my issues are coming from. So I'm hoping that more wattage can make up for the speaker loss that I suffered when I made the transition.

6. the_fooj

the_fooj

Feb 15, 2007
    Chevy Chase, MD
    Ok, so I've more or less decided that that I'm gonna go with the SVP-Pro preamp + power amp route. I've found a bunch of suitable power amps, but my main concern is how much wattage I'd need. I like the Stewart World 1.2 and also a couple of Crowns and QSC's. I figure I should try to stick with what's tried and true on these boards. I'm figuring between 900-1300 watts is alright?

7. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I just switched over to a QSC 1400 watt pwr amp to drive my pair of 2x10's and can't believe how well it ran in its first outing last night. I can definately see why they've done so well with the PLX series and I think you're right in the ballpark if you're shopping for 1400 to 1600 watts for your rig.

The head that I sold was an SM-400 and while it was certainly nice, I just needed to throw some rich, clear tone on stage and that head was sweating too hard against two loud guitars. Yeah, they sometimes need to turn down, but we low-enders often need some real horsepower to shake the air.

My tone comes out of an svt-bsp preamp that I've had for a while. I really love its clean channel sound and the flexibility that I get from the two blendable channels. I went this way because this preamp has proven to be a great fit for me, but I considered just adding the power amp to my rig and keeping the SWR head for practices and smaller gigs. You might want to look at that option since you've got a really great preamp in your head now - you'd just need to add the power amp to the gear you haul for bigger shows.

My $.02

8. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    Can't you just drive the power amp with the 3-pro's line out?

9. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Maybe, but I think it depends on whether the signal comes from before or after the meat of the preamp - the line out from my SM-400 ran straight off my input and I couldn't eq it at all. I think the effects send might work, but the line out may also have a pre/post switch that would let you effectively use the preamp's eq, etc.

10. You can use the 3 PRO line out signal and get the sound of the pre-amp. (Press the pre/post switch until you hear the Ampeg sound and not your bass). Unfortuantely, by doing this, you will not get the sound of the driver tubes. So if you like the growl of this unit, you won't get much of it by adding a poweramp. The driver tubes work with the power section of 3 PRO, the sound for the direct out/line out is taken before the driver tubes.