Suggestions for versatile four string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dpheise, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I may be in the market for a new bass and I'd like some feedback on what people consider to be a versatile four string. Something that records well direct and sits in a live mix well, but still can cut through electric guitars. I play mostly rock, but some jazz and blues, as well. I would be willing to spend in the $1500 - $1800 range. Thanks!
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

G&L L-2000

Dual humbuckers, series/parallel, passive/active/active+treble boost, dual band passive eq (so it works in passive mode). Choice of neck profiles, fretboard woods, body woods (to some extent - alder, ash). Nice finishes.

But you'd better like more of the vintage/fender, growly, aggressive vibe rather than the super-smooth thing.

There are a ton of basses that would fit your requirements (Laklands, MM Bongo, the new Fender Roscoe Beck 4, any of the many nice Jazz clones, etc.). A lot of it depends on what you like and which one will fit that. They are all versatile, well-made and sound good. Just not the same.
  3. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    Lakland skyline 44-02. Musicians friend has the deluxe versions going for around $1100.

That is a very versatile bass.
  4. Stingray or a Bongo w/ dual humbuckers
  5. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    i would say a Dinky J in prenium alder with nordstrand PU, and John East custom BTBM-01 2 band preamp.
    Woods from warmoth, and JPbasses Prestation, it would be a killer jazzbass! :bassist:

Thanks JP for this nice project!
  6. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I second any of the first three replies in this thread, esp. the g&l

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a goregeous quilt top cusotm jazz that fits the bill..... :) :hyper: --oops my business is not your business right....:meh::bag:

Ooops... Meant to write - I think a nice four string jazz bass is nice and versatile. I'm a big fan of P basses also for versatility. You can't get a big variety of sounds with a P-Bass but the sound you get will work great in a wide variety of settings.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are a few basses you should consider. The Lakland 44-02 as was mentioned is a great versatile bass. Another bass which is not talked about frequently, but is a great bass is the American Fender Deluxe Precision. Active electronics with a split p-pickup, and a Dual J humbucker in the bridge position. These are wonderful basses, and will give you a really wide range of tones.
  9. one of my personal favorites is the ibanez BTB series. the top end 1000e is about $1100. it has two bartolini soapbars and a bartolini 3-band EQ. very many sounds are available and it feels really solid and quality in my hands. i don't recall its weight being noteworthy in either direction.

another bass that i find to be very versatile is the musicman sterling. a lot of people don't agree with me, but i get a multitude of sounds for a multitude of applications with that bass. with your budget you could even spring for a piezo equipped bridge for even more tones.

i would also be remiss if i didn't mention the peavey cirrus. i work for peavey, so take that for what it's worth, but you'll notice there's a lot of cirrus love going around here. like the BTB, a very musical EQ accompanies high quality and lower cost.

i think that's my top three. they're so close in the voting, though, that it's hard to say they're listed in order. but i will buy at least one of them when i buy my next bass.

i think a lot of people will also recommend a spector, which may well be a fine choice. i've never been comfortable with them, but that doesn't mean there's anything not right about the bass. others will also recommend warwicks. i like them, but i don't think they're as versatile as the three i mentioned. i'm sure many will disagree and be able to support their opinions.

good luck! always play before you buy!

10. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Small shop here in Canada. I sold a Fodera to get one (I could have bought 3 for the price of the Fodera). Do yourself a favour and look into them. There is a really old site at but if you just give Glenn a call he can answer any of your questions.

Here's a pic of my newest one.