Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions for versatile four string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dpheise, Feb 18, 2004.

1. dpheise

dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure this question has been asked many times before, but I may be in the market for a new bass and I'd like some feedback on what people consider to be a versatile four string. Something that records well direct and sits in a live mix well, but still can cut through electric guitars. I play mostly rock, but some jazz and blues, as well. I would be willing to spend in the $1500 - $1800 range. Thanks!

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

G&L L-2000

Dual humbuckers, series/parallel, passive/active/active+treble boost, dual band passive eq (so it works in passive mode). Choice of neck profiles, fretboard woods, body woods (to some extent - alder, ash). Nice finishes.

But you'd better like more of the vintage/fender, growly, aggressive vibe rather than the super-smooth thing.

There are a ton of basses that would fit your requirements (Laklands, MM Bongo, the new Fender Roscoe Beck 4, any of the many nice Jazz clones, etc.). A lot of it depends on what you like and which one will fit that. They are all versatile, well-made and sound good. Just not the same.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Lakland skyline 44-02. Musicians friend has the deluxe versions going for around $1100.

That is a very versatile bass.

4. Stingray or a Bongo w/ dual humbuckers

5. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    i would say a Dinky J in prenium alder with nordstrand PU, and John East custom BTBM-01 2 band preamp.
    Woods from warmoth, and JPbasses Prestation, it would be a killer jazzbass! :bassist:

Thanks JP for this nice project!

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I second any of the first three replies in this thread, esp. the g&l

DD

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a goregeous quilt top cusotm jazz that fits the bill..... :) :hyper: --oops my business is not your business right....:meh::bag:

Ooops... Meant to write - I think a nice four string jazz bass is nice and versatile. I'm a big fan of P basses also for versatility. You can't get a big variety of sounds with a P-Bass but the sound you get will work great in a wide variety of settings.

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There are a few basses you should consider. The Lakland 44-02 as was mentioned is a great versatile bass. Another bass which is not talked about frequently, but is a great bass is the American Fender Deluxe Precision. Active electronics with a split p-pickup, and a Dual J humbucker in the bridge position. These are wonderful basses, and will give you a really wide range of tones.

9. one of my personal favorites is the ibanez BTB series. the top end 1000e is about $1100. it has two bartolini soapbars and a bartolini 3-band EQ. very many sounds are available and it feels really solid and quality in my hands. i don't recall its weight being noteworthy in either direction.

another bass that i find to be very versatile is the musicman sterling. a lot of people don't agree with me, but i get a multitude of sounds for a multitude of applications with that bass. with your budget you could even spring for a piezo equipped bridge for even more tones.

i would also be remiss if i didn't mention the peavey cirrus. i work for peavey, so take that for what it's worth, but you'll notice there's a lot of cirrus love going around here. like the BTB, a very musical EQ accompanies high quality and lower cost.

i think that's my top three. they're so close in the voting, though, that it's hard to say they're listed in order. but i will buy at least one of them when i buy my next bass.

i think a lot of people will also recommend a spector, which may well be a fine choice. i've never been comfortable with them, but that doesn't mean there's anything not right about the bass. others will also recommend warwicks. i like them, but i don't think they're as versatile as the three i mentioned. i'm sure many will disagree and be able to support their opinions.

good luck! always play before you buy!

robb.

10. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Fury!!!!!
    Small shop here in Canada. I sold a Fodera to get one (I could have bought 3 for the price of the Fodera). Do yourself a favour and look into them. There is a really old site at www.furyguitar.com but if you just give Glenn a call he can answer any of your questions.

Here's a pic of my newest one.
    [​IMG]