Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions needed about replacing P+J Pu's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Alrighty, I'll try and explian my problem as best I can. I'm starting to get a little frustrated with the sound of my bass, and for good reason. I play an older (early-mid 90's) Alvarez, which I've realized is a pretty decent bass except for the crappy pickups. My question is: what would be the best brand of pickups to put in the old one's place? I'm looking to get a pretty versatile sound, I would like to be able to get a good slap sound, a good finger funk sound, and a good aggressive rock sound. I've very seriously looked into replacing them with some Basslines pickups. Mainly I've been looking at the Quarter Pound P-bass and Quarter Pound J-bass pickups because of their high output and their frequency range. What I need is some feedback from anybody who uses these pickups or has a better suggestion for a brand that I should look into. I definately want passive pickups that won't require a pre-amp and if it helps, any pickups that would work well in a swamp ash body. Thanks.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am not a big fan of the quarter pounders. They always sound very aggressive and harsh. If that is the only sound you want I say go for it. As for high output, that usually means less dynamic range. You are generally better off with a set of lower output pickups and more input gain on your amp. QP's are used in the new Mark Hoppus signature p-bass. It has a very grinding punk sound. I suggest you visit a local dealer and try one out.

I recommend Bill Lawrence J-45 and P-46. They are under $50 each, www.billlawrence.com.

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I just picked up some QP's......and plan on installing them in (along with a Bart 4.6 pre) an older Pedulla MVP.

I should have the project done in a week or so......I'll report my findings then....

PJR

4. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I was worried that the QP's would sound kinda gritty and a little TOO aggressive. I'd like to be able to get an aggressive sound but I don't want that to be the only sound I can get out of them! When I heard that Mark Hoppus used the SPB-3 Quarter Pound P-bass I was a little worried cuz I don't really like the sound that Mark gets out of his bass. I'm not really into Punk and I really don't like playing with a pick. So I don't know, I'm fixing to check out the Bartaloni site and then maybe the MEC and EMG sites. Thanks for the help guys.

5. I have an older Ibanez EX-series that I changed the P/J pickups on. I had EMG's installed. They really helped the sound. They are active, of course, so they might not be what you are looking for.

Also make sure you get the dimensions correct. I had to have some minor cutting on the J pickup slot cause it wouldn't fit. The guitar tech did a good job though. You can barely tell where he scored the body.

You can see pics on my site if you like.

6. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    After looking at the EMG site I'm starting to lean that way. My only hang up is more or less a technical question. The pickups on my bass now are passive...If I were to replace them with active EMG's would I have to replace my current volume pots and tone pot, and would the active electronics require a 9v battery or is that just an active pre-amp that requires that?

7. They will require a 9-volt battery. There should be enough room in the "control cavity?" (i don't know the technical term for it) for a battery to fit. From what I understand, maybe someone else can clarify, is that the EMG's have a preamp built into the pickup itself. About changing the pots, I don't remember if I had new ones, or if he wired them to the old ones.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I've heard great things about SD's basslines SPB-2. in my project PJ bass, i'm thinking of pairing it with a Lindy Fralin or a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz.

a little OT, but i think a jbass pickup that's cutting and airy is best with a pbass pickup. it allows your bridge to add a nice definition to that thick pbass pickup. a jb bridge that's already big sounding, might muddy things.

also, there's a minority that says differing P & J pickups might be unbalanced feeling. they urge the use of pre-matched PJ sets for the best feel. but i think its ok, not to worry. with enough foresight and research, i'm sure you can find a good match.

9. DuS2DuS

DuS2DuS

Jul 24, 2002
    Miami
    Would it be better to buy two seprate pickups or get a pair of pickup sets.

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'd go for a set, myself, just so there is matched outputs, so there isn't an extremely high output neck pickup and low output bridge pickup or vice versa.