1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions needed! What to do with a flamed maple top and fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by joseplluissans, Oct 27, 2013.

1. I'm gonna receive a nice bookmatched top and a fretboard, both flamed maple. Here they are:
    9543-4_zpsd8d9d9f7.
    8834-3_zpsdb1c11b9.

Now, the problem is, that I am not sure what to do with them :)
    I have been thinking of a precision bass, alder body with the top and maple neck with the fretboard. But I'm not sure. Not gonna start using them rightaway, maybe next spring, so I have lots of time to plan for the build and get parts. I do have a precision type bridge and some tuners, plus a set of humbuckers and a classic precision pup too (all four string). Also, I have a through-neck padauk plank, plus mahogany (top set I haven't usedt) and a body wing of flame maple. So I can also do sandwiched type stuff :p
    So, a question for the more experienced members and those with vision for studd like this: What would these woods look good on? :p

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'd consider bookmatching the top along what are shown here as the outside edges.

3. Good idea. Will see how it looks when the stuff arrive. One thing I forgot to mention: The top is thin, not suitable for carving an arch top.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Nice stuff. I have no suggestions and my only comment is that Fraser Valley Fine Woods is my second favourite supplier - good choice! :)

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Gorgeous pieces of wood....
    A p bass with that top would be great!

6. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Got a picture of the padauk? I wonder how the maple fretboard would look against that.

The rest are all light colored woods, so I would suggest an accent veneer line of darker wood or maybe some dyed veneer of a color you like between the top and body, unless you want the two to blend together more than stand apart.

7. Maybe something like this?:
    [​IMG]

8. Well, the padauk is really red, so there would be lots of contrast between the FB and the neck. The mahogany I have is quite dark too.
    Seeing those grove guitars' basses makes me really want to do a P bass :p Even a reverse one :D

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Sounds like Mahog+Maple body and Padauk+Maple neck/fretboard.

10. Well, it's either that, or a P bass of alder+maple and a maple neck. Will see about that :p I have to admit that I have been thinking of making a sandwich body and would love to use some black veneer in between woods...

11. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    Oh, I thought you meant the mahogany was a top. If it's body thickness, I'd go with mahogany and maple.

12. The mahogany is a "bookmatched" and almost an inch thick set, so it could go as the middle piece for the body. I could do a maple - mahogany - maple sandwich :p The problem would be that the top is really thin. I have a bookmatched sycamore set which has a bit of flame, but it's quite lame compared to the new top.

13. lbridenstine

lbridenstine

Jun 25, 2012
    MI
    A sandwich would be nice.