Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions? NEW Jazz Bass style: Fender or Peavey or ...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toshiya, Sep 7, 2002.

1. toshiya

toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm soon going to acquire about 380 bucks to spend on another bass, and for awhile now, I realized, that I love the jazz bass style basses too much. So, I was was wondering, how do the Peavey Milestone I (JB copy) and the Fender Mexi Standard Jazz compare? I can get the Peavey at a local shop new, but they don't have a mexi fender jb for me to directly compare, so I need your opinions? Or do you guys have other suggestions for a 4 string bass in this price range (really, no greater than 400) that has a good JB feel and wonderful sound?

Thanx alot, toodles.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    THe MIM Jazz is an excellent bass and resale value will be higher.

3. I agree with CS as far as those 2 basses are concerned. I'll tell you, though, that I got my (used but absolutely mint) Reverend Rumblefish XL for $360, shipped, with a gig bag off the classified ads at http://www.harmony-central.com. If you keep your eyes open, you can do quite well for $380.

4. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i agree with both posts above. IMO, the MIM jazz is a better bass, for a pretty low price. but keep lookin, you could get a deal. good luck. when you get one, make a thread with pics (TB rule) :D

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    how much is the MTD seratoga gonna run? andrian Garcia knows I believe...

but if the MTDs aren't your taste or price range.. the MIM fender is a great bass for the price

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    if you live in Los Angeles, i'll bet there are dozens of places (GC or mars) to try the MIM fenders.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Peavey has good build quality and sounds pretty good. They don't list the wood type on the website, so it is probably made of basswood or agathis, like most inexpensive east asian imports.

The Fender is made of alder, which IMHO is a step up tonally from basswood or agathis.

And as CS said, if you for some reason decide to sell the bass, the Fender will have much better resale value. Low end Peaveys have almost no resale value at all.

8. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL
    why not go essex? they are getting the reviews, and with the $ left over you could do MODs. some say they don't really need them, but you would have that option. just my opinon. whatever you get please post pics :D

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East