Suggestions: New strings for my Fender P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I bought a new MIM fender Precision last year and it has come time to switch them, not so much because they are worn out, butmostly because I really don't like the sound they make (whatever they are). With roundwounds, I do not like that "new" string sound: overly bright and, well, metallic. I play mostly rock, some modern, but not exclusively. While I do not like those really bright strings which make TONS of finger noise, I don't really want that really subdued jazzy sound either....I still have to be heard through that hard-hitting drummer and overdriven Randall stack. Any suggestions on a new pair of strings for me? There are way too many to choose from!! Thanks
  2. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Maybe some flatwounds? They'll cut down on finger noise as well as that "metallic" roundwound sound. A lot of people have good experiences with TI flats and D'addario Chromes. I'll be trying my first set of TI flats soon.
  3. I just ordered a Fender Classic 50's P-Bass. I'm having Fender 9050 flats installed before I even see the bass (it'll be there on the 24th). I'll pick it up after work and be ready to play my gig that night with it. Normally, I'd just change them myself but I'm in a time crunch that day. D'Addario Chrome flats are brighter than 9050's, both are high tension strings.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My P-Bass is wearing D'Addario Chromes and they are great for the music that I am currently playing... Like lonote says, they are a bit higher tension, so a truss rod adjustment may be warranted...

For roundwounds, I find that the D'Addario XL Nickel's break in nicely and rather quickly... They also keep a good, broken-in tone for quite awhile as long as you wipe them down after playing... You'll have that zingy, new-string sound for a week or maybe two, but then they settle in, IME...

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    my experience with the chromes give a lot of "metallic noise when you first get them. PLus they give finger noise if you play fingerstyle. OTher then the tone is exellent fret noise is greatly reduceded.

Rotosound's altough course give a good unique tone. Especially toned down. Look what Jaco did with them.

My GHS roundwounds were great when i first got them not overly bright or mettallic, but then after that you get crap tone for a couple days, then your back to the normally GHS feel and tone.