1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

suggestions of how to strip an bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by untamedhellion, Jan 1, 2012.

1. untamedhellion

untamedhellion

Jun 25, 2011
    I've got an bass that I want to strip and refinish...What does everybody recommend for stripping the original finish down to the bare wood ?

sandpaper ?? aircraft stripper ? da sander ??

Thanks,
    UntamedHellion

2. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    [​IMG]

:D

:bag:

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Couldn't help but to think of Nicole. Ya shure you really want to do that.... ?

b7bab802321f5d4.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I gotta ask why? What finish is already on there? If you're planning to paint it a solid colour, there is no need to strip it right down. If you're planning a transparent finish, then it's hard to beat a heat gun, plastic scraper and sandpaper for when you're close...

5. untamedhellion

untamedhellion

Jun 25, 2011
    because it's black and I already have 4 black basses....plus it's winter and I have nothing better to do :smug:

Untamed

6. Serek_Basses

Serek_Basses Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I have had pretty good success with Citri-strip. It's relatively safe, cheap, smells great, and works pretty fast. Leave it on for a few hours and take a scraper to it. Let it dry, and sand to finish.

7. tiger_rich

tiger_rich

Nov 25, 2011
    I just finished stripping my thunderbird pro with a heat gun and scrapper. Very easy just take your time

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I did not have success with Citri-strip at all. I left it on for a day and it did not make a dent in any way. I used Kleen-strip and it worked like a charm.

9. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    That's why I'm refinishing my bass (well, I don't have 4 black basses, but two black and a teal, soon to be a black, a blue, and a teal...)

I started with a heatgun and a scraper, then used an electric sander to get most of the paint/lacquer off, then hand sanded the parts the electric sander wouldn't fit into. Also had to use a razor blade on a few small spots that wouldn't come off the first few tries with the paper/ heatgun & razor