1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on a 5/6 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EADG mx, Mar 6, 2008.

1. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm posting this for a friend (guitarist) who is looking to buy his first bass. I've posted his ideal specs in order of priority. He can be flexable on all of these within reason.

Price range: 5-600$ (flexable by around $100 if necessary)
    Spacing: 19mm (preferably)
    Strings: 5/6
    Scale: 34" (preferably)
    Frets: 24 (preferably)
    Active preamp (versatile EQ preferably)

Suitable for jazz, fusion, funk, and comfortable for slap/pop.

No preference for pickup configuration, woods, weight, or finish.

Thanks for your help

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I'm thinking a used Lakland 55-01 would be perfect for him. Scale is 35" though. I'd also check out the G&L L-2500 Tribute (17.5mm spacing though, which I find easier on a 5 string).

3. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    35" scale is ok.

He would prefer wider spacing as he has bigger hands and wants something comfortable for slap.

Thanks for your suggestions

4. May want to check into Cort - brand new they're about your range, used are just as good and you could save some $. Very versatile sounding basses, with Mighty Mite and Bartolini. (At least, that's what's in my Curbow)

5. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    ESP LTD B-206 is the bass you're looking for in the price range you want. It makes for a good fretless, if you do it right. It's been my main bass for over a year and a half, and nothing, short of a Steinberger XL-6 fretless (which doesn't exist) or a custom Basslab, will get me to switch.

6. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    care to give us some more details on the b-206? maybe some pics? i've been eying them for a while, and the only other option i seem to have are the schecters, but the b-206 looks like it balances better.

7. Matt, look into used US peaveys. The foundation is a great bass at even better prices. New either a Ibanez ATK or BTB.

lowsound

8. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Gladly. The B-206 used to be a 34" scale 4-string, but it might very well have been stretched an inch since 2005 (which is when mine was made). I can't remember the string spacing, but it's relatively narrow - at least when compared to my Peavey TL-Six.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5333255#post5333255

That's what a defretted version looks like. It's also what my basement door looks like.

9. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    ok thanks, the newer versions are 35" according to the ESP website, which is what caught my interest, also the hardware and top wood are a different color now. i'm pretty sure a B-206 will be my next purchase.