Suggestions on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by random bassist, Jan 22, 2005.

1. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    I am senior In high school and sadly do not have my own bass. :rollno: I plan to major on the bass in college and have been saving to buy myself a bass as a graduation present. I have played several different basses and have just not seen anything that i really could see myself buying. I know that better basses cost more and am preparing for a huge blow to the wallet. I will most likely have to buy a laminated one though because of prices, and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest a rather good maker of basses to try. I dont mind the whole laminated thing as long as they are worth the money. I also know that this is not an easy thing to answer w/o my trying the basses. I would just like the names of some makes that you think are worth trying.
    any ideas will be greatly appreciated :)
  2. If you're around the new york area, you NEED to go to Arnold Schnitzer's shop in Brewster and try the new standards. You will be impressed

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If the new standards are out of your price range, I would recommend trying to find a Shen, or a Christopher. Both are really good quality plywood basses. You may even consider a hybrid bass(carved top with laminated back and sides) for a more complex sound. Check out the newbie links. Lots of great info in there....
  4. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I would strong recommend you contact Arnold Schnitzer ( even if you aren't in the NY area. He will treat you right and make sure you end up with a bass that suits your needs.
  5. random bassist

random bassist

Jan 21, 2005
    Yeah thanx guys :) Sadly im not in the new york area, but i have heard a lot about these new standard basses. just today i looked at their site. those are around my price range. but theres nobody around my area that carries them. I actually went and tried to find one. All that most places carry are knilling and some other "cheaper" brands. I will try and get a hold of Mr. Schnitzer to see about them. i think the only problem would be getting it to me, seeing that i live in southern FL. But the suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)
  6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    What's your budget?
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Hey, man, he got one to me here in Maui...I think he can probably get one to you in Florida.
  8. Check our Newbie Links here under basses.
    Also check for a complete list of luthiers and dealers in your area.
    Best of luck!