Suggestions on a cab to run with Eden WT-800A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flavman1, May 29, 2012.

1. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I have an Eden WT-800A and I'm looking for suggestions on a cab to pair it with. To give you an idea, I've used a 93 Ampeg SVT-810E cab in the past and it was fantastic! Unfortunately, I had to sell that cab for practical reasons. I currently run this head in stereo through (2) Ampeg 2x10 Portabass cabs but they don't sing like that SVT did. I know this is subjective and filled with many variables, but I'm looking for a cab that can give me a quality sound and maybe some of that SVT vibe. I know this is a lot to ask for, but this cab must fit in the back seat of a Honda Civic and must not weigh a ton... By all means suggest any cab that you think would produce good vibrations, especially if you've found a good match for the Eden WT-800 that you've been happy with. My options are to run my head bridged at 800 watts @ 8ohms or in stereo at 400 watts @ 4 ohms. I play rock, funk and country through a passive Fender Jazz, Hofner and upright bass. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Two options that I used for years - great tone and pleeeeeenty of low end..

Double cabs I know but out of all of them - running the single 212XLT sounded awesome.

1 x 210XLT and 1 x 210XST

2x10s.jpg

1x 212XLT and 210XST

MarksEdenRig.jpg

3. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I've only heard good things about Eden cabs. I've been considering a 410xlt, but I suppose 2 smaller cabs would be more versatile and easier to lift. Do you run the amp in bi-amp mode when you use the 2x12 & 2x10 together?

4. I would suggest a fEARful 15/6. 8 Ohm cab, wont blink an eye at your WT800 bridged until you get stupid loud, and they can be made very light. Mine is 35 pounds. Its a one hand carry even for my girl. I love the tone I get through mine, that is a bit subjective I know, and I also know that no cab is for everyone.

[​IMG]

If the two way design doesnt float your boat I would check out a greenboy Dually. This one is 39 pounds. It could be wired to work with a stereo power supply with out bridging. A lot of guys dig the tone they get with them and their SVT's. So if you are looking for the sound of a 810e, this wont get you all the way there as it is ported, but it might be closer to the mark than you think.

[​IMG]

If that 215 is a bit big, it comes in a 115 version called the Bassic.

5. devilman666

devilman666

Apr 23, 2011
    manchester nh
    two dna ds 2x10's like eden but better lol .

6. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    +1

I've got a fEARful 15/6/1 and a WT800(A). Running that Eden bridged into the 15/6/1 is a perfect match - great power, clarity, punch. Highly recommended.

...and it fits in the back of my Civic. ;)

My second recommendation would be for two D210XLTs, stacked vertically - the rig I played before I got my fEARfuls.

Eden_rig.jpg

That was a really great rig, and the Eden cabs may give you more of an inherent "SVT vibe" than the fEARful (they have a slight low-mid bump), but the fEARful will put out whatever you put into it, and be considerably louder - plus, you'd only have to carry one cab.

(btw, the Eden cabs in that pic are going up for sale.) :D

7. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I've never heard of fEARful, I'm doing my research now. Sounds intersting.

8. That head will have enough juice to push a 15/6 well past the SPL output of a 410.

9. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm definitely looking into the Eden 2 cab situation... After doing some research/comparisons in Eden's 2x10 department, it appears that more people are happy with the XST over the XLT. Have you personally compared the two? While the low-mids are known to be great, many people have said that the XLT's low end response is not the best; plus the newer XSTs use neo speakers and are 10lbs lighter. On the plus side, I like the idea of having a bit more amp head room since the XLTs are rated at 350watts RMS. That being said, can the WT800a handle the additional power that the XSTs require? In an ideal world, I've been I've been told to provide at least the required amount of juice (if not more) to power a cab properly and not stress out your amp? My amp repair guys tells me the the quickest way to damage your gear is to under power your cabs (I think this may be a topic for another thread).

How much are you asking for your XLTs?

10. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, it appears that the 15/6 is rated at 450watts, so I could run (2) 4 ohms cabs in stereo. What do you run your 15/6 with?

11. The 15/6 only comes in 8 Ohms. I wouldnt run two of them with your head, just one. The 3015lf will happily take a ton of wattage compared to other speakers as it has much higher mechanical limits than a standard 15. With your head you are looking at 610 types of volume with a 15/6. One 15/6 will be much louder than two 210's stacked, and will have much more low end extension than any commercial cab.

I run my 15/6 with any of my heads. Portaflex 500, Peavey Mark VIII XP, Peavey Classic 400, or most recently a SansAmp RBI into a Peavey IPR 1600.

12. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    The low end of the XLTs is just fine; the XSTs might be a bit smoother for the lower notes on a 5-string, though.

Cabs can't be underpowered - your repair guy is mistaken.

I'll PM you on that one.

I'm not sure where you got that info, but the fEARful 15/6 is quite happy with 800W fed into it. I wouldn't hesitate to put up to 1,000W into it. I run it with the WT800(A) in bridge mode.

http://greenboy.us/fEARful/faq.htm#What_is_the_minimum.2Fmaximum_wattage_required.3F

+1

13. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    I don't know about sound SVT-ish, but the WT800 with a Eden D410XLT is a great match. Sure, that cab is heavy as all heck, but some of the best bass tones I've heard have come from that rig.

14. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
  15. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    The damage that may occur has more to do with the head, not the cab. Sorry, I should have been more clear on that. For example, If you run a 250watt head through a 400watt cab, is the amp not more prone to stress/clipping because the cab is damanding more power than the head can produce; not to mention the lack of headroom? This is the type of stuff my amp repair guy warns be about.

This topic has honestly become a source of confusion for me during my search for amps and cabs, so please feel free to offer your opinion. Even though it makes common sense (to me) to not under power a cab for the reasons previously stated, why do manufactures match products that don't have similar ratings? I just played an AG Tonehammer 500 through an 8ohm AG cab rated at 700watts. In reality, the head was only producing 250watts at 8ohms, but it sounded great and the head showed no signs of stress at moderate to high volumes. I'm getting mixed signals here. Ultimately, I'm just trying to ensure optimal efficiency, performance and longevity for all the components involved.

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    There is a lot of stuff on the internet that can be a bit overwhelming at times, the very technical stuff is hard to grasp properly & internalize (while keeping an open mind of course) and impossible to do without a little study.

Here's a link http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_amps/how_to_hook_up_heads_and_cabinets.html

It made it clear enough for me to follow other explanations better, and confirm consistent guidelines or rules about cabs & heads. I did the research because for 2 months (or more) I've been researching getting a better rig (while getting things in order to get it).

Ask and you might receive. The trick (with heads) is to never go below the rated Ohms (less ohms means the amp puts out more watts of power -> too little ohms means power beyond point of failure) and with cabs to listen for distortion when speaker is closing in on its limits (also don't put 1500W @ 8 ohms into a 150W 112 speaker, unless you trust your gain/volume controls a lot:bag:).

I'm no expert, read up, listen and try not to break your expensive equipment!:bassist:

17. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I've reviewed that page several times before. It certainly gives good information about ensuring proper impedance, but I don't think it says much about wattage matching. I totally agree that it's not harmful to under power a cab at low volume, but it's when you need more volume that you can run into trouble. I personally experience this when I run my Ampeg Portabass 250 head into a Portapass 210 cab, which is rated at 400W. It's fine at low volumes, but the gain peaks out at moderate levels. So while this match up is not bad, it's not ideal either. Right? There's honestly mixed to little info about this topic, so please clarify if I'm missing something here.

18. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Wattage matching amp with cabinets is a fallacy. Cabinets don't demand a certain power level. A well designed amplifier should have no problem clipping all day into a stoutly-designed cabinet. Even if cabinet power ratings were realistic (which they aren't), most ported commercial bass cabinets can only handle a fraction of their rated power below 100 Hz before running into driver excursion limits.

Underpowering is a myth. Yes, there are some risks involved in running a heavily clipped amp into a speaker, but it tends to be hardest on tweeters, where the increase in high frequency energy can cause overpowering and failure.

I have a WT-500 and a D210XST, and used to have a D210XLT. I prefer my recently finished 15/6/1.

19. flavman1

flavman1

Aug 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok, you make a solid point.

Seems like this thread is only attracting fEARful users, I'm starting to wonder what rock I'm living under. Did you personally get to try one out before you bought one or did you make the plunge based on word of mouth? Do you by chance know how fEARful compares to Bergantino, Schroeder, Epifani or Euphonic Audio; just wondering why nobody else has mentioned these cabs since I'm assuming they are all in a similar class?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021