1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on a cheap fretless Jazz bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ronbeast, Sep 21, 2008.

1. So,I'm looking for a fretless jazz bass for a budget price.I want the bass for my second custom project ,so with that said all it really needs is to be made of a decent wood have an average jazz bass neck and be made of decent woods.Suggestions,prices,and Info are greatly appreciated.

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    1+ for the SX from Rondo

3. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    I'd be interested in getting something like that. How does their overseas shipping work? Like if I buy it for that price, will I then be charged eleventy million dollars for shipping after it gets into the country? Because shipping an item that large and heavy here would cost a lot...

4. Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Fretless, best fretless bass under $300, IMO and IME. I own the Squier and I also own a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V so I know quality and sound. Take my word for it, I wouldn't BS on this.;)

5. squier vm fretless lined jazz good bargain

6. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Hey Dane, Im in Newcastel NSW. A few weeks ago I got the SJB-62 Lined Fretless 5 string jazz. Postage was US$117 or something like that. With the exchange rate at the time it cost all up AUD$286. It arrived 6 days after I ordered it. Big tip, pay the extra 18 or whatever dollars it is and get it in a gig bag for extra protection. And can I say, well worth the 286 bucks. Pm me if you have any questions.

7. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Do a search on Ebay for "fretless jazz". There are some pretty good ones at good prices up there right now.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Sure the SX is inexpensive but based on my experience you get what you pay for. I'm in the minority who haven't been happy with my SX but if you listen to the majority they're a good value. I disagree.

However, it sounds like you're planning to mod it, so in that case go ahead. Just be careful that it's a good platform to start off. One of my complaints is that the nut on mine is improperly installed and it's just not worth the money to have it fixed. I figured it's a fretless so I'll just live with compensating for the nut being at an angle instead of perpendicular to the fingerboard. I'm now buying/selling other fretlesses to find "the one" that will replace the SX.

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I just bought a used Fender MIM fretless Jazz for $220, I suggest trying to find one going the used route if you can.....

10. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I have both a Squier VM fretless and an SX fretless jazz.

The Squier has a better feeling (thinner satin finish) neck and nicer pickups although not much mwah and an uneven fretboard. It sounds a lot like a fretted bass in many respects and has a really nice deep tone to it.

The SX has a very pronounced mwah and really sounds like a fretless. It's heavier and the neck isn't quite as nice in the hand as the Squier. The neck is a bit chunkier and finish a little stickier. It sounds remarkably good for only $120.

Both are fun to play though and I'd take either one.