Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trailsforus, Jun 7, 2005.

1. trailsforus

trailsforus

Dec 2, 2003
    So i am going to be looking for a bass (and practice amp) for around 500$. I have been playing guitar for a while but to tell you the truth ever since I started I have wanted to play bass. This has been easily 6 years coming. So I am looking for a good all around cheap bass. If need be I could scrap 500$ just for the bass and get a really cheap practice combo amp. I will be playing everything. From jazz to funk. Punk to heavy metal. Slapping and picking also. Basically everything. I really like Victor Wooten style playing. So say 500$ for the bass. I played my friends fender american jazz bass alot and it was nice but pretty big to me. I also played a old pbass style schector alot and it felt better than the fender.

I have been looking at the ibanez edb600 and I like the feel...light and small but I dont really like the luthinite sound. this bass will have to be 4 string. Thanks in advance!

-Dillon

2. I recommend the hamer in my sig. Top of the line jazz!

3. The Ibanez EDB series basses are crap. In MY opinion.

The Ibanez Ergodyne EDC700 4 string is great! I use it for PROG, metal, punk, country, finger, pick, slap and tap.

Great all around bass. Light weight, and packs a punch. Thin neck, super fast.
    The new 710 series are not as good.
    Search Ebay....Usually $300-450.

Ibanez Ergodyne EDC700!!!

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Standard Jazz Bass maybe second Hand American series.

5. My advice would be a yamaha rbx, not sure on $ conversions or prices where you are, but here they are faily cheap, well built and good sounding begginer basses. In addition they have a neck very similar to a jazz and a small and light body, seems to fit your description. What do the rest of you guys think about the yamaha's??

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    oh right Yamaha BB414,men this basses sound like a $800 or $900 bass,believe me.... :bassist: