Suggestions on a Starter Bass for 9 Year-Old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Mar 23, 2011.

1. My nine year old daughter wants to learn to play electric bass, so I'm in the market for a short-scale instrument. I started on a Fender Musicmaster Bass back in 1975, so I have a soft-spot for Fenders.

What are your views on the Squire Bronco Bass? What about any other short-scale basses?

2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    All I'll say is I love my Bronco Bass. After a simple pickup change, it sounds fantastic, too.

The neck is absolutely great. Just make sure you get it dressed properly. Between my Bronco, Musicmaster, and Mustang Basses, I think the Bronco has the best neck.

3. Mediumhero

Mediumhero

Jan 17, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    My buddy has a Bronco. It plays nice but doesn't sound very good IMO. Maybe because its going through a 10 watt Traynor. Otherwise a decent bass for the money ($170 CDN or so)

4. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Change that crappy 6-pole Strat pickup and I promise you, it'll sound good, too.

5. As far as a short-scale, I would definitely reccomend the Bronco, I used to use one in my rehearsal space before someone came by and took it home with them, they play great, well worth the $.

6. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    There is a used squier musicmaster on gc online its worth the money

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    my friend has his 8 year old playing his EBMM:

file.jpg
    file.jpg

he also has a few youtube vids of him playing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/periii1963?feature=mhum#p/u/1/dHhu23w2Xqc

so cute...lol

He only did that because why start out on something that in a couple years is gonna be replaced anyway....

now I understand that you may not want to go out and buy your daughter a full scale 1000.00 bass to begin with, but if you have something for her to use...let her get used to it :)

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Three good options for a young beginner:

Squier Bronco
    SX short scale from Rondo Music Home Page
    Ibanez Mikro (young girls seem to like these a lot)

Hope that helps.

9. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Should definitely consider this one. The four-saddle bridge means that really the pickup is the only weak point here.