Suggestions on a Starter Bass for 9 Year-Old

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OldFenderPlayer, Mar 23, 2011.

1. My nine year old daughter wants to learn to play electric bass, so I'm in the market for a short-scale instrument. I started on a Fender Musicmaster Bass back in 1975, so I have a soft-spot for Fenders.

What are your views on the Squire Bronco Bass? What about any other short-scale basses?

2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    All I'll say is I love my Bronco Bass. After a simple pickup change, it sounds fantastic, too.

The neck is absolutely great. Just make sure you get it dressed properly. Between my Bronco, Musicmaster, and Mustang Basses, I think the Bronco has the best neck.

3. Mediumhero

Mediumhero

Jan 17, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    My buddy has a Bronco. It plays nice but doesn't sound very good IMO. Maybe because its going through a 10 watt Traynor. Otherwise a decent bass for the money ($170 CDN or so)

4. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Change that crappy 6-pole Strat pickup and I promise you, it'll sound good, too.

5. As far as a short-scale, I would definitely reccomend the Bronco, I used to use one in my rehearsal space before someone came by and took it home with them, they play great, well worth the $.

6. bassfunk329

bassfunk329

Jul 5, 2008
    There is a used squier musicmaster on gc online its worth the money

7. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    my friend has his 8 year old playing his EBMM:

file.jpg
    file.jpg

he also has a few youtube vids of him playing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/periii1963?feature=mhum#p/u/1/dHhu23w2Xqc

so cute...lol

He only did that because why start out on something that in a couple years is gonna be replaced anyway....

now I understand that you may not want to go out and buy your daughter a full scale 1000.00 bass to begin with, but if you have something for her to use...let her get used to it :)

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Three good options for a young beginner:

Squier Bronco
    SX short scale from Rondo Music Home Page
    Ibanez Mikro (young girls seem to like these a lot)

Hope that helps.

9. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Should definitely consider this one. The four-saddle bridge means that really the pickup is the only weak point here.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021