1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on finishing my octave>OD>filter pseudo-synth chain

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moatilliatta, Jan 9, 2008.

1. moatilliatta

moatilliatta

Sep 24, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    After reading up here (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-307893.html) on how the best synth pedals aren't made anymore, and that a good way to imitate them is an octaver>fuzz/overdrive>filter chain. I should also state I'm pretty new to the real of effects, so if I'm going about this wrong, please tell me! Ideally I want sounds close to your basic sin wave old school synthy keyboard sounds, and/or more modern "generic" synth bass keyboard sounds.

I just got a DigiTech BSW, and while it's fun I have a hard time getting quite what I want, so I'm thinking of trying this chain option to expand my possibilities (though I am going to play around with the BSW a few more days to see if I can get what I want from it before buying anything new). The BSW I can use for it's much-acclaimed octaver function. My Humphrey modded Badder Bass Monkey OD pedal should be coming soon, which leaves the filter. (I know the BSW is technically an envelope filter pedal, but it's more of a few specialized "voices" than a straight filter ped, right? And I'd be using it for the octaver here regardless.)

Any suggestions? I want to keep it cheap (1. i'm broke & 2. i play with two loud guitarists so the difference in the high-dollar pedals probably won't be heard on stage), not much over $100 if possible, under that is better.

I've read a few good things about the DOD FX25, would it work well for this? I'm thinking that at the price it'd be worth getting just for a bit more sound shaping.

Any ideas/tips? Thanks!

2. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    First thing, I think that a fuzz would work better for the fake synth thing, but the drive might work for ya in a pinch. Also, the FX25 sort of does the synth thing, but I don't think its ideal either... my drive>FX25 doesnt strike me as the synthiest thing ever, but it depends how convinving you need for your band/budget (also, how high gain the monkey gets... I've not used one of those for driveing a filter in particular).

I think people like that boomstick bottom feeder (used to be a tonefacter 442 red? someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) for filter and synthy tones. Its a little higher than you'd mentioned, but I don't think by that much.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Cheshire, UK
    I'd say either a Mojohand Huckleberry if you have a passive bass or a Subdecay Flying Tomato if active and pair that with a Boomtstick Bottom Feeder and you'll get all the synthy sounds you'll want, adding an octaver is good but I like it after the fuzz when doing synth stuff tracking can be affected but it sounds better ;)

I recommend an FX35 Octoplus for a cheap decent octaver that can do great synth sounds.

Also out of a box the Sinister Audio Soul Provider should be quite good I'll find out this week when it arrives.

Have a search for the Subdecay Noise Box as that is very very very synthy on it's own.

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I think you would've been better off going the EH Bass Micro Synth route over a whole bunch of single pedals. Then again, this'll be more versatile.

The Ibanez AW-7 is a very good envelope filter for not much money. You can get some pretty sweet, if too perfect/modern sounds out of it. The built-in distortion is also a nice option and that can be cranked pretty high either to aid your OD or just make it synthy in its own right.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021