Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions on good 2 Channel preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 440Hz, Jan 13, 2004.

1. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I am selling my Ampeg SVT III Pro and opting for a power/preamp sound. I just got a Sunn 600W poweramp and am now looking for a decent TWO channel, RACKMOUNTABLE preamp. I really want a two-channel cuz, though 95% of the time play with fuzz, there are times when i need clean. I have been looking at The AMpeg Billy Sheenan model, but dont like some of the features on it. I thouht about a Sansmp RBI cuz i like their pedal version.

Requirements for preamp;
    1) channel switchable with separate eq's
    2)tuner out and mute (optional)
    3)2U of less.

Thanks.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Peavey MAX preamp meets all of your requirements with the exception of number 2.

3. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    im not really into Peavey gear, other than maybe some cabs.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I hear ya but don't knock it unless you've tried one. It's not your stereotypical Peavey amp IMO. The MAX really is a nice preamp but it's just one of the available 2-channel options. I couldn't really think of anything else other the SVP-BSP that you had already named. Good luck!

5. I agree that the Peavey Max is a great preamp...had good luck with mine. I would still have it but was offered a very fair trade in price.

If you like the Sansamp, you might want to consider (2) RBI's. Then you could switch between them. This would still be only 2 rack spaces...still no tuner out though.

6. I love my Eden WP-100. two channel, mute, tuner out, footswitchable boost & enhance. Hybrid tube input ((1)12AX7) exelent eq section, just not separate per channel. I use a rackmount 2 channel eq for switching,(one flat, the other tweaked) 2 rack space preamp.

7. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Raven-Labs Universal and PBM

Epifini

Read? Doesn't this guy do custom work?

Unfortunatly I don't have any experience with any of these preamps. Another option is to split the signal into two preamps.

8. You might also check out the SansAmp PSA-1, which is marketed as a guitar preamp. It's got dozens of channels, each programmable and switchable. Pretty sure it's got a tuner out and is 1 rack space. It's got presets for 10 types of bass amp sounds, but like I said, it's fully programmable to fit most tastes.

Tech 21 and click on PSA-1

9. If you were looking for all in one.
    The new Aggie AG500 looks perfect!!!

10. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    cant find any info on the Aggie AG500. who makes it? google gives me nothing.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    brand new product. Check the sticky thread at top of the forum.

12. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    Looks pretty killer, though i only need a preamp. I just got a Sunn 600W amp and am looking to combine my bass and guitar rig into one rack, running the Sunn with separate preamps and my Korg tuner.

13. amorosomolto

amorosomolto

Sep 10, 2003
    Texas
    Could you elaborate on this setup of yours? How do you run the signal paths to the preamps and such. You use the EQ to switch channels then?
    I do not have any experience with rackmount EQ's. Your setup seems very interesting.

14. I saw a guy in an extremely loud band use THIS as his preamp before a Peavey power amp, 4x10 and 1x18. The only thing it doesn't have is a fuzz knob.

15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Raven Labs.

16. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    Has anyone used this as a BASS preamp? It says universal, but i am not familiar with their products. Would this also make a guitar preamp?

Raven Labs Universal Stereo Instrument Preamp

Mo'Phat, that eq is sick!

17. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000

After owning a couple of these products I can say that the build and parts quality is very good and the function design is generaly excellent.

The Universal can be used with many different typs of instruments such as acoustic stringed instruments, keyboards, and of course Basses, hense Universal. You might get more information over at the Dudepit website.

You should know what your amps input sensitivity is to be sure the preamp your interested in has enough output voltage to drive the amp to full power. Generaly this match up isn't very critical.

18. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    VicDamone,

are there general guidelines as to poweramp sensitivity and how this will affect sound? I am new to this setup so any info would be appreciated.

19. 440Hz

440Hz

Nov 17, 2003
    Midwest
    I'm liking that GK preamp. Any word on a price or when its gonna be available?