1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

suggestions on good amp heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bomaye, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Bomaye

Bomaye

Jun 6, 2014
    I currently play in an alternative/punk band but also like to play some metal on the side, any good affordable (around 300$) amp heads to buy for gigging?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You'll be kind of limited to used or semi-low wattage with that price point, but as always I'll recommend you check out some of the offerings from my fine friends at Ampeg :D

3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Ampeg PF-500 would get it done. I like the TC BH heads too. Buy as much power as you can afford. Headroom is always nice to have.

4. I play punk with my Aguilar TH350. You might be able to find one used in the mid to high $300s. IMO, it would be worth spending a few more $$$ to get into this amp. It is the best one I've ever owned.

iualum likes this.
  5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Where are you located?

6. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Fine suggestion. Gallien-Krueger MB500s are in the same range. Once in a while in the lower 3s. Low 3s on the Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0. Shoot, with the right displacement, the GK MB200 works pretty well (~$200).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  7. My rig is actually pretty inexpensive. I play a sans amp RBI into a crown XLS 1500 and they are in a small little rack bag for easy hauling. Crown makes a xls1000 which will save you a little but it's still not going to get you down to $300. At $300 you might just have to shop used.

8. For the tone you are going for, I would look for a GK 400/700rb. What kind of cab are you using?