suggestions on good practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Oct 29, 2003.

1. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Ok so the amps I like are:
    SWR la 8
    SWR la 12
    Hartke b30
    Hartke b60

I'd like something compact, clear sounding, durable, and I won't out grow quickly. So far the swr la 8 is my favorite.

possibly the peavy microbass (I haven't tried it yet).

Some background on my amp needs. I don't play in a band - though I continually day dream that Led Zepplin will reunit and call me up to tour with them. I haven't been playing all that long but would like to jam along with my guitar playing friends and some boogie woogie piano my wife jams out. I have a yamaha bb404 and a carlo robelli accoustic bass, both of which I really like.
  2. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Try the Peavey Micro Bass amp. Being a newbie myself, I've listened to lots of amps in the last 6 months. I have the Micro Bass and the Basic 112 and they have both served me well. Others may disagree with me but those Peavey amps are the best bang and tone for the buck I've heard. Oh, I've tried those Hartke amps. They sound great in the store but not in the church or at home, but I'm playing a Fender Jazz bass so I probably get a different tone than you would.
  3. As far as the small practice amps I own and have used (and where I live, that's really all I can use, and this at low volume), I'd have to say that if you could stay one model up from the 8" speaker types, you'd be glad you paid the difference. I have an early 90s Peavey Microbass (8" speaker, don't know about the current ones, even though they got a good review in BP Mag), a late 80s Peavey Basic 50 (12" speaker,too big, sounds stiff), and an early 90s Crate BX 25 (ten inch speaker). For my little hovel I go with the Crate, but my point is, the extra cabinet volume and speaker size result in better low end, even at low volumes, at least in the case of these lower-end type amps. I have no idea how the LA series sounds. I've wanted to check out the small Ibanez amps (35 and 65 watts) because they have built in tweeters and tilt back cabinets, features I could appreciate. But for now, I'm content. I end up using headphones out of the Crate sometimes too (playing my StingRay 5).
  4. hey i have been lookin for amps recently my self anyway the 2 i liked the most were the ibanez 60w i dont remember the exact model but its on their site its a tilt back 12 in speaker not a bad unit and it would be loud enough to jam wiht ur buddys. the other is a roland 30w dont remember the model on that one either i believe it is a fairly new amp its got a few nice effects to play around with on it not a bad amp and its incredibly loud for 30 w anyway go down to the music store and chek those two out and see what u think. and i havnt tried any of the amps u mentioned. i am supprised u like the 8 inch speaker usually they dont have anything for tone or volume. anyway theres my 2 cents
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Stay away from the LA series. I own one and I can tell you that all of them are crap. I've tried the LA-8 and the **** speaker can't handle the low E string. :( I'm going to be selling this soon and getting a new Yorkville XM-200T. But for the type of amp you need, I have a few suggestions:

Ashdown Perfect 10

Yorkville XM50

Ampeg B50R

Hope my post helped. :)
  6. Try it, you'll like it!

7. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    When you try the MicroBass, also try the MINX.
    35 watts, 10" speaker, much better tone.
  8. Spanky2112

Aug 20, 2003
    Utica, NY
    I have a peavey microbass and it's sweet.
  9. darkjoker667

Apr 21, 2003
    I have a Hartke b20. It distorts a lot with full volume but that's good with the type of music I play. Durable as hell too.
  10. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Whoops I already bought the SWR. I tried it and liked it and bought it.

Anyway thanks for everyones help. Next I'll be shopping for a bigger amp (next year after I pay off what I bought this year). Hmm, I a new book. Guess I'll post that as another thread.
  11. coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC

I wished I had waited because I have never seen that model ampeg and really like the stuff I have tried. I don't get out much.
  12. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Even though you've bought it......

My recommendation would hands down be the Warwick take-12

This little sucker packs more punch than you could imagine. It cuts through a drumkit with ease, and it would be quite giggable if in a small venue. If you like growl and punch with a sweet flavour, warwick combos are the shiz.

Solid-state amp 80 watts, 12" speaker and horn.
    Extremely low-noise input section with gain control.
    Rotary controls for bass, low mid, high mid, treble.
    Phones jack, line out, effects loop.
    Mute switch, master control.
    Gain control with clip LED.
    Speaker out: 1/4 jack.
    Fan cooling (non-permanent).
    Protections: short-circuit, HF oscillation, overheating, DC.
    W: 16.5 kg
    D: 555 x 395 x 325 mm (HxWxD
  13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Thanks Queen of the Smileys! ;)
  14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    When you get you're bigger amp next year, I now also have a few suggestions for that:
    Ampeg B100R. Same as the B50R except with better tone controls and a 15" speaker. $499 from MF.

Yorkville Xm-200T-200 Watt Extremely LOUD 1x15 combo-$479 from MF. Also comes as XM-200T, which is a 2x10 version of the same amp-$519 from MF.

Ashdown Electric Blue combo-newest model coming in 112 and 115 combos. 180 watts. Not sure of the price for this yet. :meh:

All of these would be good choices. I liked my LA-15 when I first bought it, but quickly got tired of it. The tone is just boring.

Stupid LA-15 :mad: