1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on Looper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rockin982, Dec 15, 2006.

1. rockin982

rockin982

Jan 27, 2004
    NJ, USA
    Lately I've been really getting into solo bass and I'm experimenting alot with layering in order to be able to play complex musical compositions on a bass in a live enviromnent.

Right now I have a RC-20XL Loop Station (that I admittedly got because a fellow bassist I admire was using a Boomerang to great effect, and everything I could tell at the time said that this was twice the machine at half the price). And it's very novel to work with - I can do alot of cool things. But What I really want is a way to play through a whole song, with 3 or 4 different parts, and interchange between them on the fly. So for example there might be one line for the verse, a different for the chorus, the bridge might do something else, and I need a way of being able to play a line, kick it into loop mode, and then move on to another line when the next part comes up. As you can imagine, quite a tall order for the RC-20XL, which only really lets me play one loop at a time and then layer on top of it.

Does the RC-50 have this functionality, or could it be done using several RC-20's, or is there another unit that would be better suited to what im trying to do? Im not really interested in pre-recorded stuff, there are computer-based programs that can do that far better than any looper ever could, but rather a live performance tool that allows me to layer parts on the fly to create an entire song, not juts a single looped phrase.

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the RC50 is like 3 RC20 units in one, so yes, it's capable of what you want it to do. and it probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle to learn, since you already know the RC20.

if you're interested in something different, look into the electro-harmonix 2880 (and the optional footswitch). i hear it's also quite killer.

http://ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=/Catalog/01_New_Products/09_2880

good luck!

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    The Digitech Jamman is a pretty good one. Its about the same price as the Boss LoopStation you have, but in my opinion is much better. I own the Jamman and was looking into what you have, but when i investigated, the Jamman looked better. Anyways, as to what you want it to do, there are 100 available tracks, you change between them on the fly, but it is much easier if you buy the additional footswitch. The addition has 3 pedals, making for 5 altogether. This lets you record something and trade off on the fly. its also has a compact flash memory card and you can actually record with it if you want. It has a USB port so you can copy the music files saved on your card onto your computer.

I think I got everything important out there... let me know if you have any questions about it

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    indeed! the RC50 came out in response to the jamman. the jamman with the optional footswitch can do much of what the RC50 can do. the RC50 does have some other options (like a phantom powered mic in and lots more I/O options), but you may be fine with the jamman.

research, research!

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The RC20 has a footswitch jack allowing you to switch between the 11 loops. The main limitation I can see is that you only get one at a time. Does the RC50 play several at once? I wish my RC20 was stereo. The loops can get pretty built up, it would be cool if various layers could be panned.

6. The problem with the RC20XL and the Jamman is that when you switch loops with the foot switch they only go to prerecorded slots not empty slots. They also erase the loop you just created when you switch unless you stop the loop and press save. The RC50 and Electroharmonix are more likely to do what you need. The electroharmonix can do four different loops but they all will be the same length. The boss can do different length loops but only three. Boomerang is coming out with a new one with more loops and better sampling rates in the spring. The RC50 supposedly has issues with midi sync, I wanted one but I am waiting until that is fixed. Right now I would go with the Electro 2880 or the current Boomerang. I bought a jamman and the loops started bleeding into each other, so I returned it and got the RC20XL.

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I would like to mention that the capabilities you want in a looper describe the RC-50 perfectly.

8. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts

forgot about the saving issue, but what do you mean about them bleeding into each other

9. Say you have 3 loops. You are working with loop #3 then go back to loop #2 only to find that loop #1 has mixed itself with loop #2. I saw a couple of reviews on Musician's Friend and Harmony Central mentioning the problem but I ignored them and bought it anyway, it did just what the reviewers said. If you make back ups and don't mind the special attention to archiving then the Jamman ain't bad. This could be quality control issues and not affect the whole lot of Jammans.

The saving loops thing is a big deal if you want to do verse, chorus, bridge then go back to chorus. It won't be there if you don't stop the machine and save. Kinda puts a hole in your performance.

If you aren't into midi then the RC50 would be the one to get. The RC50 can play 3 loops end to end or simultaneously. The midi issues seem to be based on the RC50 as slave, as master it might be just fine. I have been trying to get a review from someone who has used the RC50 as a master with a drum machine like the Alesis SR16.

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I've used the RC20 switching pre-made "backbone" loops which I can add to or solo over etc. You only get 11 basic loops to work with but it should do for a couple "songs." Each time I switch loops I'm back to a basic loop that I recorded earlier so the evolution of the loops gets undone. For the price it's an acceptable limitation for me.

11. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    i haven't had that problem yet, but honestly, I haven't been using it as much as I hoped... I use it occasionally to jam with myself, but i have yet to use it in performances...

maybe someday... or i might sell it... eh, its cool where it is for now

12. I suggested the 2880 at one time but after further research, I don't think you can do the loops sequentially only simultaneously. The only ones that will do what you want are the RC50 and Boomerang. The Looperlative would be the best choice but it's $1500.