1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on repairing this chip?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GrooveWarrior, Mar 7, 2008.

1. This is the ebony fretboard on a project I'm working on (I still haven't decided between lined fretless or fretted).

This is the worst chip on the board (well, two of them). There are some "chatter" chips up higher.

What it the best way to repair that? I have heard using ebony dust and glue, but I don't know that I will be sanding that much more of this board to get more dust.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Here are some of the chatter chips in the treble side from frets 9 to 13. Not a great picture. They are very shallow.

[​IMG]

2. I would probably just bind the board, and if that doesn't quite get all the way to the edges of the chips, then the area left should be small enough that an ebony dust and glue fill should be unnoticeable. If you need more ebony to sand on to get the dust, then just buy a $5 headplate from LMI. That is assuming you don't have any offcuts from the fretboard left over to use for that purpose.

3. You know, I hadn't thought of binding the board!!! Can you imagine how good maple would look with that. I've never bound a board, but I may start investigating!!

4. DSB1

DSB1

Mar 8, 2006
    You could try sawdust or (better yet) binding, but I think it's best to start fresh with a new fingerboard. I don't want to sound like a jerk but these things happen and it's a part of the game.

5. This is my first real build project, and I bought the neck and the body. I'm not sure doing a new fingerboard is in the cards for me.