1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)


Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbosler, Dec 20, 2001.

  1. mcbosler


    May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I've blown an 18, and want to replace it. It's in a Carvin 118 enclosure, and I'm running a Carvin R600 through it (as well as a 410, which is fine). Any imput regarding what speakers are in the market right now would be helpfull...price ranges, experiences, opinions, where to get them, etc...
  2. Two Words:

    Bag End
  3. mcbosler


    May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I can't help but notice that you suggest this while you list almost all SWR equipment...I couldn't find any price listings on their home page, but I'm guessing that's the reason. If I'm right about that, let's assume I'm not a millionaire and want something a little more price conservative. Would I be better off just replacing the cone?
  4. jasonbraatz


    Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SWR uses a bag end speaker in their Big Ben.

    they're the best 18 for bass i've ever heard. and they're not THAT expensive.

  5. woah, you blew the carvin 18 inch with the 600 watt head? i thought the 18 inch was 800 watts? interesting heh.
  6. mcbosler


    May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Yeah, I was testing its limits by altering my eq, but my drummer and I became rather drunk during the process and tried out spinal tap's "this goes to 11" method. Didn't work out too well. Anyhoo, do you know if bag end sells the speakers piece by piece? I mean, there's nothing wrong with my enclosure, just the cone itself.
  7. SRSiegel

    SRSiegel Guest

    Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    you should be careful when replacing blown drivers with other drivers not intended for your enclosure. the safest method would be to get another carvin, as you know it works. bag ends are really nice speakers, but you should check out the specs with winISD before buying one. do a search for winISD, download the program, select the speaker youre considering, and type in the parameters of the carvin enclosure (internal volume, tuning frequency). carvin speakers are made by eminence, so you might want to consider a better eminence as well.
  8. Bassdadto2


    Dec 3, 2001
    Find someone in your area who sells Eminence or Electro-Voice Drivers, or even Celestion. They will be better than the Carvins. Be sure that you get the right impedance, though. If you are replacing an 8 ohm driver, don't buy a 4 ohm driver.

Share This Page