1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on swapping out flats for rounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tonebrulee, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Looking for roundwounds for a Squire VM Precision. I just started playing bass a year ago and immediately swapped out the stock strings (Fender Super 7250ML, Nickel .45-.100) for Roto 77LD flats (.45-.105), wanting a smoother, more fundamental sound (no slapping, etc. as I'm learning the basics).

At this point I'd like to try a set of roundwounds that still primarily deliver a smooth, fundamental sound, but are also capable of more - i.e. getting to the point where I can get more tone variation with my right hand finger technique.

I put the original 7250ML's back on to try, but found them a little too bright (because they are nickel?) and also very rough feeling. I realize rounds will never feel like flats, but maybe there are rounds that are less rough depending on construction?

I know lots of people here are nuts over DR strings, and High-Beams in particular. Maybe they would be a good choice? Or perhaps the Low-Riders?

All suggestions welcome - Thanks.

2. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Actually nickel rounds sound warmer and less bright than steel rounds, so stick with nickel if you want less top-end sizzle. I'd suggest DR Sunbeams or Nickel Lo-Riders. Both sound great, warm and well balanced. The Sunbeams have a smoother feel, the Lo-Riders have slightly more tension and a little more low-end punch. The initial zingyness of any rounds will mellow some after you've had them on for awhile.

3. Ahhh nickel = less bright, good to know. I like the idea of the Sunbeam's smoother feel/lower tension, but also the Lo-Riders low-end punch. Any thoughts on whether the Lo-Riders would feel any smoother than the Fender 7250ML's? Also, the Roto 77LD's are relatively high tension, would you think the Lo-Riders would be lower tension?

Thanks.

4. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Personally I haven't played Fenders or Rotos in recent years, so I can't speak to that question.

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Roto flats are like bridge suspension cables tensionwise so the Lo riders will definately be lower tension