Suggestions on these specs: Round 2...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Metts, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Fretted:
    DP Custom 5-string bass
    Custom body/headstock shape
    35" scale
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners
    Gotoh Bridge (string thru body)
    Black metal knobs
    Ash body (Quilted Maple Top)
    Maple neck
    2 EMG 40J pickups
    18v Aguilar OBP-1 preamp/EQ
    (volume, balance, bass, treble)
    Ebony fingerboard
    Dunlop flushmount straplocks

Ok, here are the same specs I put up not too long ago for the custom bass I hope to get built around Xmas time. I have two main areas I would like suggestions on, but suggestions anywere are welcome.
    1.) Pickups
    This bass is mainly going to be used for metal, but I would like a decent slap/pop sound. Basically, I just need a little versatility. The EMG site says that the 40Js have a "little less low-end but expanded midrange." My question is, will I lose that much midrange by going with 40Js as opposed to say, 40DCs?

2.) Preamp
    Ok, let me first start off by saying that I don't know much about electronics (and I'm sure it shows), so that's why I could use some help here. Is the Aguilar the best choice for this application? My main concern is that it's only 2-band. I don't know that a 3-band EQ is truly necessary, but it could be a nice luxury. I was thinking about the possibility of a Bartolini 18v 3-band EQ. Opinions? I know the Aguilar will give me the power I want, but I'm sort of concerned that I will be limited in my tonal versatility.

One quick note, after investigating the suggestion of a maple fretboard, I decided against it. The main factor is that I want to balance out the 'brightness' of this bass a bit, and I figure an ebony board should give a little growl which would be nice.

If I had some webspace I would put a preliminary pic of my design up, but I don't have any (and I don't feel like registering with geocities or any of those places just for one thing). If you want to see the design, just tell me and I'll email it to you or something.

Thanks ahead of time for the help. You guys (and gals) are always helpful!

Edit:: Forgot about the handy attach feature... Our mods are so nice to us, aren't they? Attached is a first draft of my design. Yes, it is basically a modified Spector CRFM in Black Cherry.
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

cool specs, I´m getting about the same one built.

Maybe consider the Sadowsky Preamp, thats the one Jason Newsted used to use on the Metallica Tracks. The Design is pretty cool.

The main difference between the 40Js and the 40DCs is the growl.. 40Js growl like hell, 40DCs sound more ordinary, a bit more electronic, like metal.

Maybe consider an EMG E.Q., I wouldn`t go Bartolini, because the Bartolini Sound is a bit to warm for metal - in my opinion..

3. ok, I definitely think we're on the same page regarding the bartolini. What's the story on the Sadowsky preamp? I remember hearing some people talking about how in order to get one, Roger himself has to install it. Is that really the case or could I buy one and have it installed by the builder (Dave Pushic)?
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Nice specs, dont know about the aguilar.
    Mine has a matched Bartolini system.
    But I suggest an ABM or a Hipshot "A" bridge instead of the Gotoh.
    Also a Plain Maple neck? No laminations? Uhmm not stable enough for my liking.
    I would go for Wenge with laminations of Zebrano,Maple,Purpleheart or any other thing...
    I really recommend having the most stable neck you can afford.
    Mine was designed using Wenge/Wenge/Mahogany/Wenge/Wenge , the Mahogany isnt too hard , thats why I reinforced the core with Carbon Fiber bars.

Anyway, Are you really planning into getting it for Christmass?? Man, you are gonna die of G.A.S. !!
    When I asked Dave for a quote on mine, I couldnt resist!! I had to feed the need, so one week later I placed the order.

There is so much time that you are going to kill yourself thinking of the endless options on the woods, pickups, neck , frets, strings, tuners, bridge, etc!!

Btw, Nice shape.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ABM bridge. Its not string-thru, but you won't really need it with this bridge.
  6. Thanks for the suggestions...

Keep 'em coming!

I understand your suggestion regarding making the neck as stable as possible. The main thing I'm concerned about is the tone. Spectors have maple necks (I believe) and I really like their tone. Wenge sounds attractive too, but I'm trying to keep this thing fairly affordable.

The Aguilar was mainly my choice because I wanted the added headroom 18v can give. I've never heard anything bad about the Aguilar so I went ahead and marked it down.

I'll be sure to rework my specs after this thread is dead and I've had a chance to research all of the options. Then I'll fire it at Dave Pushic for another quote. I sent my initial specs over a week or two ago and got a quote I couldn't believe.

I know I'm going to kill myself going over all of these options, but I want to be sure it's perfect. That and I have to give myself time to get the money. I killed my G.A.S. for a bit when I got a Washburn RB-4000 in November and then a G&L L-2500 in February. The G&L is definitely my main bass right now.

Thanks again to everyone that's responded so far. All suggestions are welcome. You all probably know a bit more than me!
  7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I also wanted more headroom, Thats why I chose the Bartolini NTMB0183-AP
    Its harness its HR-5.2-AP wich is:
    -18 Volt Preamp Circuit
    -Active/Passive System (Push/Pull Vol knob)
    -3 Band EQ (Push/Pull Midrange Freq Selector)
    -Pickup Blend

For an extended range on the pickups I chose the Triple Coil xxM56EK for more lows and Highs.
    I think you like the G&L because of all the tones it has isnt it??
    Thats why I chose the Triple Coil, You cant wire it Series/Parallel/Single Coil.
    I bet you cant do that with the EMG. I thing they dont have any triple coil wich includes a hum-cancelling dummy coil.

Just some suggestions to offer you more tone posibilities.

Ohh! And I asked for an Out-Of-Phase switch recently.. MORE TONES!!
  8. I do like the G&L for the extreme versatility it has. My main concern in going with Bartolini pickups/electronics is the same concern I've seen a lot of others express. That is, mainly that Barts are so warm. Since I'm planning on using this bass for metal, I want something that will be able to cut through the mix like crazy and do it with some power.

I remember from my short discussion with Nino that he is of the opinion that the Aguilar w/ EMG 40Js sounds really good for metal (which is basically what this bass is being used for). You play metal too, don't you Ifabara?

Anyway, I've got plenty of time to research and make my decisions final. Keep me posted on how your custom turns out. I'm curious as to how it works in a hard rock/metal situation.
  9. Ok....a little revision has yielded these specs:

DP Custom 5-string bass
    Custom body/headstock shape
    35" scale
    Hipshot Ultralite Tuners (Black)
    ABM Bridge (or Hipshot 'A' if ABM is n/a in black)
    Black metal knobs
    Ash body
    Zebrawood top
    3-piece neck (purpleheart/wenge/purpleheart)
    2 EMG 40J pickups
    18v Aguilar OBP-1 preamp/EQ
    (volume, balance, bass, treble)
    Ebony fingerboard
    Dunlop flushmount straplocks

I decided to dump the idea of staining this bad boy since I'd rather just go with natural wood colors. While it's nothing as extravagant as one of JT's basses, I feel that this wood combo should look pretty good. I'm still fairly undecided about the pickups and electronics. I would think about Bartolini, but that may introduce more warmth than cut, and that's not exactly what I'm looking for. Hopefully the Aguilar will give me enough versatility. I'm afraid of the Bartolini warmth factor. Are the EMG 3-band preamp/EQ setups as good as the Aguilar and Bartolini? If so, I may look into that.

Also regarding the question of neck stiffness/stability. Would that particular choice of 3-piece neck be a good one. I've heard a lot around on Talkbass recently about how neck stiffness is as, if not more, important for the quality of the B string than scale length.

I may have to go redo my design to account for the different body/neck woods now. :)

As always, I'm looking forward to your suggestions!
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That neck should be pretty stiff, but if the cost were the same I would go with wenge/purpleheart/wenge, unless the single wenge centerpiece is very wide, like say 50% of the neck width.
  11. Funny you should mention that, Embellisher. I was just thinking about it and decided that I should make the center wenge strip wider for aesthetic purposes alone. Looks like it might be a situation that works itself out beautifully! :)