1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions on using a Roland GK-3 Pick-up on my Modulus 6-String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by daves111, Oct 5, 2009.

1. daves111

daves111

Oct 5, 2009
    Hey fellas,
    Had the GK-3 hooked up to the Roland GR-20 Bass Synth via double tape/junk show to a 4 string Stingray. It would only play above the 12th fret and the lower strings had a little bit of lag...
    I just traded that guy in and got a Modulus Q6 (So Sweet)

As I am poor on technical issues...
    Can the GK-3 handle the 6 strings on the Modulus?
    How can I affix it with the Modulus dual pick-up configuration as it seems like there is very little room and without devaluing the instrument in any way?
    Are there other options, such as an internal pick-up or other ideas out there?

I am a very progressive player who loves effects and getting way out there. The GR-20 is so much fun and I really want to add it to the Modulus, but not at the expense of the guitar...
    Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    1) The GK-3B can handle 6 strings.

2) It might be a tight fit--you'll want to make sure the pickup is narrow enough to squeeze between the bridge pickup and the bridge, which would be the preferred location. I don't see how that would devalue the bass, though, if you use the removable double-sided tape that comes with the pickup.

3) An internal pickup would involve a lot more serious, expensive, and potentially irreversible modifications to the bass than the GK-3B will.

Mike

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    If you could only play above the 12th fret it may be that your GR-20 is in guitar mode. Put it in bass mode and it'll be so much better. I've used a GR-20 with six string bass for a couple of years, it works great.