Suggestions please: 4 string unlined fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Hello folks....

After and loads of pondering, reading, asking (on TB) and searching, I think this type of bass is my 'Bass To Be Proud Of'; my self 50th b'day present. Not absolutely definite on that, but it has to be investigated further.

I'd spend £700, (£800 absolute top weight for the right instrument). That sort of money should easily get me a used high-ish end bass, and some new ones.

Looking more towards jazz playing nowadays, but wouldn't be surprised if it had to knock out the low end for a rockin' 12 bar from tome to time. :hyper: :hyper:

It will almost certainly be fitted with TI Jazz flats.

Anyway, thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Warwick, king of fretlesses (IMHO of course) - the Buzzard Fretless is my favorite Warwick to date -- and I've owned many in a short period of time to find that out. Looks a bit too heavy metal? not when you think of how many classic Who songs the Buzzard provided the low end for. I have played mine on everything from Dire Straits to Jerry Reed to Primus to Cream, and that was with roundwounds!

That said, if the look is too much, you'll get great sound out of the active Corvette Standard as well, for about 750UKP or less. Spring for a higher level Corvette like a Proline and you can get lighter wood than the stock 'binga, to boot.

I won't recommend the Thumb though, too neck-heavy. Weighs a little less than a Buzzard, but the Buzzard balances so well the weight isn't as apparent.

My twopence, guv'na.
  3. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Wal Fretless...and use roundwounds!!! I play one just about exclusively and have had to have the fingerboard dressed only once in 12 years of use. I currently use DR Highbeams...great strings. Fretless Wals are absolutely fantatic sounding and can be sweet or aggressive.

Other selections would be a MM fretless or a Jazz from any number of manufacturers...of course Fender...or Sadowsky....or build one with Warmoth parts.
  4. Boo, hiss! Flats all the way! It's SOO much more fun and expressive slippin' and slidin''re not only liberated from the "speed bumps" of frets, but the other "speed bumps" or roundwound strings! They actually feel like part of the instrument rather than a 3rd-party product that's strung on.
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA