1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Suggestions please---best bass for under 600.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'm looking to get back into it. I've officially got the bug.

Past: My first bass was a MIM Fender Std. Jazz 5-string. I liked it pretty well and had no problems with it. Only mod I made to it was to replace the tuners with good Hipshots. I wouldn't be averse to going this route again, but just wanted to see if there was anything better.

I also bought a Roscoe SKB 6-string and absolutely loved it, but I'm not going to drop that much right at first.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything?

2. Are you going for a 4-5 or 6 string this time?

3. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    i would try to look for some sort of schecter bass
    maybe on ebay or something
    they are extremely good

4. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Yamaha BB1200 or BB2000 both 4's if you're looking used...
    Yamaha BB614 or BB615 new..
    Fender MIM Jazz or Geddy Lee Jazz or Hwy1, etc....

5. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Unfortunately you had to sell your previous MIM Jazz V since you were happy with it. I just got one last week and love it ... I also have an 08 MIA Jazz. And as much as I think the MIA is worth every penny, I am just as happy with the performance of my MIM Jazz V regardless of price point. I personally think the tone of the stock pickups are great and the range of tones is awesome. I'm not sure what tuners were stock on yours, but mine came with Gotoh tuners (has an '08 serial number) ... time will tell, but I don't anticipate having any problems with them.

6. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I picked up a G&L Tribute L-2500 for $499 new during a Memorial Day sale and this bass still puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up. :)

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You could probably get yourself a really sweet used bass, like a US Fender or something.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Sorry--I'm a dufus.

I'm looking for a 5 or a 6, either one. For 600, I don't think I'm going to get a good 6'er, so I'm leaning more of the 5. However, starting back with a 6 will help develop my technique for playing a 6....bah. Assume a 5 for now. :)

Looks like a great bass. This is what I'm looking for---I never would've looked at a G&L without the reco, so thanks, I will check it out.

I'm open to that. Honestly, I'm open to whatever is the best I can get. :)

Thanks for the help so far guys---keep it coming.

9. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    They sound great, very full and powerful. I got one in blueburst with a maple neck and it's so beautiful. My two Fenders have gotten nearly no play since I got this bass because it just sounds so much better! :D I almost always play with both pickups on in series in passive mode and it's just so versatile that I don't even need to play my other basses. :)

IMG_0001.

IMG_9996.

Action shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love mine and wholeheartedly recommend one to anyone. Get one with a maple neck though :D

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    The neck on that thing looks like a boat oar----I'll be right at home. :)

I like very much, actually. That will be at the top of my list, as I like the fact that it is active. What is the preamp in it? Bart?

11. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I was in there last week! I didn't see much around the price range I was looking for, but alas, I might've been too awed with the freaking Roscoe that I want......

13. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So you're here in Austin too?
    I love BE, although they cant do much past basses an amps, no bridges or anything.

:ninja:

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I work in Austin frequently, but I was actually waiting on my wife's plane to land after a delay so I stopped in.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If 35" scales are OK, what about a used Lakland Skyline 55-01 or 55-02?

16. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    heck yeah. Go used. More bang for your buck.

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Could I get one for the price I was looking for? I was under the impression that those would be $1K+ or so.

18. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    If you like a chunky neck, that Tribute L2500 will fit the bill. Give it a try, but give yourself some time to try out the actives. A bit confusing at first.

Third switch from the neck (closest to the bridge) is the passive/active. Push it toward the floor and it is in passive mode. Tone controls are cut only.

I've got a Trib L2k and it is incredible.

Just couldn't get used to extra thickness of the neck on the L25K.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I've never played a 4, only 5's or 6's. Never had a neck that bothered me, so I don't figure this one will either.

20. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    +1 on the G&L, or maybe an Ibanez SR. Maybe buy replacement pickups??