Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions Please.. Loudness Walkabout Scout v. WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I have a WT550 and BagEnd S15D now and just tried out the Mesa Walkabout 12"Scout and was amazed by the weight and loudness. I like the idea of carrying around a combo but I'm not sure if it'll be loud enough. I max the Eden's overload LED alot because I play with a loud drummer and keyboard player. Any suggestions? I was seriously thinking about picking up the walkabout for my practices but is it loud enough? Thanks.

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Scout that I use in a two guitar classic rock band. I had an Ampeg SVT3 Pro and an Ampeg Pr410 cabinet. After I bought the Scout I sold the Ampeg rig and bought the Scout 112 extension speaker and it is an amazingly loud ultra portable setup. I love it and so does my drummer.

3. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I am a Scout owner and use it on most of my shows.
    I play in two different classic rock cover bands. Never have a problem with volume or tone with the Scout ...
    I do use a different amp for outdoor venues..the Scout falls short since most of the time I dont have PA support otherwise the Scout would be my only amp.
    Its a great combo - I have the 4 ohm version but if you get the 8 ohm and add the extension cab you should be set.
    There is a thread here about running the Scout @ 2 ohms which is interesting..check in the different Mesa threads..

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a Walkabout for loud band practices (drummer who hits like Tyson, and two guitar players using half-stacks who seem to duke it out, volume-wise), and I have no problem keeping up with them driving two 8 ohm cabs (sometimes 3). With just one 8 ohm cab, I do have to push it. That said, for largish venues or outside gigs, I would be inclined to bring my iAMP 800 or rack rig, as the Walkabout isn't quite up to handling the larger venues.

Tom.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, I have also played an Eden WT-550, which I think is very nice, but I do not believe that it is appreciably louder than the Walkabout, despite the higher power rating.

6. DITTO :D

7. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks guys for the feedback! I guess I'm a sucker for any bass amp that is lightweight, loud and small. I'll have to make up my mind in the next couple of hours.