Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Die Happy, Oct 8, 2003.

1. I've only been playing bass for about 18 months now (was a guitarist before but I've learnt the error of my ways ;) ).

I'm looking for a good amp to gig in Bars and Clubs with.

Could anyone out there point me in the right direction. :confused:

Cheers.

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    i cud throw a bunch of things at you but first.
    How much money have you got?
    What style will you be playing with it?
    Is weight an issue?
    What bass are you playing?
    Are you in a band, is it loud?what power amp has your guitarist got?
    Will you just need your amp as a stage monitor or will no PA be supplied at all your gigs? There are more, that should help you narrow your choices down a wee bit.

Do you want a combo or seperate cabnet/head/preamp/poweramp

Blah blah blah

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    also, welcome to talk bass (ive never said that to anyone before)

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Whats your price range and playing style? You also need to consider what you may be doing in the future. Many but an amp that works to start with but they find the need something more after a while.

5. Not much money but prob about £1000
    Hard rock with a touch of funk
    As for weight i'm trying to lose some but not really bothered other wise
    I'm using an Ibanez btb 6 string
    the bands quite loud 1 guitarist 100 watt marshall amp
    Most of the gigs will have a pa there

would prefer cab and head

thanx hadn't thought of that stuff

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    lol, im guessing from that comical answer weight is not an issue.

You have plenty of money, dont worry, you will be fine with me, lol.

Im getting a bahringer ultrabass 300w head, and a laney r410, that no more than £500, you could add a laney r115 and get 300w out of the amp and have a nice wee stack, have a look at ashdown stuff too, traceelliot, laney, You will hear about avatar probobly, forget it, they ship to america only.

7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    also, playing a 6 string, you might want to make sure you have a 1x15 in there, the two laney cabs are no more than £500 for both of them, that's for 500W, you will then have £500 to play with for a head or preamp and power amp set up

8. I've been thinking of going along he lines of
    Head/4x10/1x15.

What type of wattage do you think I should be looking at?

9. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    id say 500w is ample, especially if your using pa

10. Since you are playing a 6er, you might want to consider speakers that have a strong frequency response for the low B. For example, looking at the David Eden website, I see that the D210XST starts at 30 Hz, while the 410XLT starts at 50 Hz. I couldn't find detailed specs on the Laney website. I've been playing for 5 years, but I am only now looking at (and learning) the long list of factors that contribute to desired tone...

11. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    yeh the laney site is crap, if you can go somewhere that has a few amps, try them all out with your bass or a bass which is the same quality as yours.

With regard to Eden cabs, Die happy is in the uk, i dont think we can get them over here, mabye im wrong.....

12. Thanx for the help guys

I've got an idea of what I'm looking out for

By the way your right the Laney site sux

13. I thought about that, but I needed an example somewhere, and with my limited knowledge of UK equipment combined with what I saw of Ashdown cabs at 70 hz, I just didn't know where to turn...:) Let us know what you end up getting, DH - I'm just a bit curious.