Suggestions regarding these brands of bass amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dawn, May 7, 2005.

1. Dawn

May 6, 2005
    Any opinions regarding SWR products?

Thinking of buying a new bass amp like SWR LA-12. Anyone have any idea if it is a good amp to invest in?

i would like to thank everyone for helping me with your suggestions regarding my previous enquiry above. i need a bass amp asap to practice for my up-coming gig but the area i stay in have very limited brand of bass amps :( i read some of the other topics in the forum and realised that brands such as Avater and Ashdowns etc are quite popularly recommended. However i couldn't find them in any of the stores. The brands that are available are Peavey, Laney, Hantke, Fender, Ibanez, SWR(LA series), Behringer and Marshall.

I would be using it mostly for home practice but being able to bring it along for jamming sessions would be good too ;) The bass amp i hope to look for could contain a good range of sounds without being too over powering. Would be suitable for jazz and rock genres. Here are some of amps i would be considering. Could anyone help me out with some suggestions on which would be a better choice? Thanks a million :D

MicroBass II Bass Combo Amplifier

HCM160B HardCore Max Bass Amplifiers
    HCM30B HardCore Max Bass Amplifiers
    HCM65B HardCore Max Bass Amplifiers
    R1 Richter Range Bass Amplifiers

SW35S Sound Wave Bass Combo Amplifier
    SW65S Sound Wave Bass Combo Amplifier

Any suggestions for other models than the ones stated above as well as brands like Hantke, Fender, SWR(LA series), Behringer and Marshall are most welcome :)
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    How about a Yorkville? :hyper:

Going by what you are looking at power wise, I'd suggest a XM50C. Maybe even a XM100.

Hope that helps :bassist:
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i cant comment too much on the models in question but here's my 2 cents. in order to keep from outgrowing it or being dissapointed, i would suggest getting a combo in at least 100 watts and preferably with a 12 or 15. a combo that can accept an extension speaker without disabling the internal speaker would be great too, as you could always add a second speaker down the line

i'm surprised that you can't get an swr workingman's 12 or workingman's 15 combo from the place that has the la series. in fact, i'm sure they could order one for you. both are excellent amps.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm in the same boat as you, looking for a decent combo. I agree with the above that you should get at the very least 100 watts (that's even going to be too little for some gigs), and I personally prefer a 15. I've had 12" combos and they start to break up pretty quickly when you crank them.

As far as brands go - I think SWR is really overpriced. I bought and sold 2 hartke amps so that's my feeling on them. Right now the battle is btwn thelinks below for me. The Yorkvilles can be found for $100 less if you shop around.. the others I'm not sure, BUT - if you buy from American Musical they deliver instantly (got my last purchase the day after I ordered it), and you can use the easy payment plan - even if you have no credit whatsoever. I like that.

I think I'm going to wind up getting the fender with the 15, but it's not in stock yet and it's a gamble cuz it's new and nobody's reviewed them yet.

Ashdown Electric Blue Bass Amp (15 Inch, 180 Watts)
    Ashdown MAG C115T Bass Amp (15 Inch, 300 Watts)
    Fender Bassman 250 Bass Amp (15 Inch with Horn, 250 Watts)
    Fender Bassman 250 210 Bass Amp (2x10 Inch with Horn, 250 Watts)
    Yorkville BassMaster XM200 Bass Combo
    Yorkville BassMaster XM200T Bass Combo
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the SWR workinman's combos will sound a lot better than any of the others mentioned. I have a WM10 for a practice amp, and other than having a hissy tweeter, it is fantastic. I havn't tried the LA series.

The Peavey would probably be my second choice, since you at least know it is going to be reliable.

Also, +1 to IvanMike's suggestion of getting something with a bit of output. Playing bass is all about playing with drummers, and you'll need more than a peavey microbass to keep up.
  6. if you can get a look/listen at the laney R4 that would be a good start point, a 1x15" combo with switchable horns, 7 band mid eq, compressor, bass/treble cut & boost, DI, 300w.

you can connect a cab at a later date, Laney have a few good combinations with 15" and 10" cabs (note they are 8 Ohm) I have a 4x10" cab (also has switchable horns) which comes out at bigger gigs...the rear portholes also help the drummer....

the size to output/power ratio is very good in my opinion. After a hard night gigging I think the combo feels a bit weighty to me though!...but maybe I'm just getting old!!!!....I suppose I should get it on wheels!

...obviously I'm biased, cos this is my current setup, also used peavy combos (not ht emicrobass though) - not a dsitinctive sound to my ears, but versatile and reliable.

you need to hear the amps to see if they suit the sound you want, just like you would do with a bass.....