Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions/tips for reformatting Windows XP machine

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ty McNeely, May 27, 2004.

1. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, the time has come for me to reformat. I think I have a lot of spyware that I can't get rid of, and my machine is becoming insanely slow. I think the best option would be to just reformat and start all over.

I'm currently in the process of backing up everything that I want to keep, but are there any other suggestions or tips to help me along in the backup process?? I've never done this on a Windows XP machine before, so I want to make sure I do everything right and everything goes smoothly.

Anything, anyone?

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Use XP smart format. Thats an ace tool.

- oh and before you need to do it do these things:

-hijack this

-spybot search and destroy

-adaware

3. If you run a decent anti-spyware program (with all the updates), it should get rid of most of the spyware.

Anyway, if you insist on formatting (it should only be as a last resort though), make a separate partition of about 10 gigs. Install only windows and drivers to that. This way, if you have to format again you can keep the other partitions with files and programs.

Also, test you backups! I had a friend lose his entire collection of pr0n to discs with faulty sectors. If only he had tested them before formatting...

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK

A friend, uh, you dont know him - he, err, lives out of state

5. Nah really. Like I said, I keep mine on separate partitions so I don't lose it when formatting :D

6. elevenwatt

elevenwatt

Mar 31, 2004
    A total format is kind of draconian in most cases. Nowadays, viruses, spyware and other malicious crap are probably responsible for more PC woes than bad hardware. So... what they said above, plus download and run Trojan hunter. And, be sure to run the update on Spybot. And innoculate. And do a full virus scan. And doing a defrag never hurts. HTH.

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    My machine is just doing some really weird things that nothing seems to get rid of. I have all the spyware programs previously mentioned--HiJackThis, AdAware, SpyBot, SpyWareBlaster, etc. I've also got McAfee Security Center and I update my definitions daily. I've taken every possible precaution to secure myself, but somethin' still snuck in before I was got everything.

Plus the fact that there is a lot of crap on here that I just plain ol' don't want anymore :D

I'll be sure to do the partition thing. I did that with my last computer (that was 7 years old when I reformatted Windows 95) and I had forgotten all about it :)

Thanks all.

Anybody else?

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Win XP is a good operating system. Nonetheless, it is a M$ product and therefore needs to be slapped silly and reminded of who exactly is operating whom from time to time.

Separating your system onto a different partition is a good idea. Make sure you have all your data backed up and the original install files for the apps you want to use then boot from the XP CD and toast that filthy monkey and its damn talking paperclips all the way back to whatever demon-infested pit of hell it came from.

9. Unplug your internet till you get anti-virus software on it. Then plug it back in and immediately get all the Windows Updates.

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    LOL I read about your little escapade with that the other day. My McAfee Firewall does a pretty good job of blocking EVERYTHING when it's on it's highest setting, so I think i'll be OK long enough to get the updates. Hopefully anyways!!

11. Computers are the only thing that make me wish I was Amish....

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Alright ya'll, I need a little help......

I think I made a boo-boo.

I wiped my hard disk completely. Then I made 2 separate partitions so that I could keep my OS on one and the rest of my bid'ness on the other. The problem is, how do I get to where I can use that second partition? I have another 30 gigs of space just floating around on my hard drive that I can't use. What do I do?

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No boo-boo bro..........designate your new partition with a drive letter, and then you can store stuff there.

right click on the "my computer" icon, select "manage", and then choose "disk management".

-Mike

14. you probably didnt format it or something. Chances are you can just go into "my computer" , right click the drive, and click format. Then probably some button that's labeled "format" or something.

15. The real way is to boot from the XP disk and format that way.

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Thats the way I did it to begin with. I formatted it whenever I reinstalled Windows, but I just didn't know how to get to that partition. MJ fixed me up :D

17. I figured as much ;)

18. There, fixed it for you.