Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by anubis101, May 6, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    ok, what strings would be best for a jazz/rock playing style?

thanx

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Long, round ones. :D

Actually, as has been pointed out here recently, string selection is a pretty personal thing, and it's going to be hard for anyone to tell you what the best string for you is. There are hundreds of sets to choose from, if you consider core style, outer wrap material, flatwound, half-round, compression-wound, roundwound, etc. There is also the matter of guage. I don't know what guage is right for you. If you like the guage of strings that's on your bass, use the same guage next time.

Nickel roundwounds are very popular, general-purpose strings. If you're on a tight budget, you could try D'Addario XL's, Ernie Ball Slinkys, Fender 7250's, or something like that. For a little more, you could try D'Addario Slowounds, DR Sunbeams, La Bella Slappers, etc. These don't all sound alike, but they all have the nickel roundwound sound, which is a good starting point.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just reviewed your other post/thread asking what Stefan from DMB uses. I'm not familiar with DMB, but I am familiar with DR strings. They are fabulous strings, bright and long-lasting. I've only used Lo-Riders so far, and they are awfully good. You can get them in either nickel or stainless. They give me a very bright, clean sound, with lots of bottom (I've used the stainless ones). Your mileage may vary, of course.

4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    well i have been using ernie ball's but they wear out quickly and im trying to find some that will last longer,...they can be more expensive....i just wanna a good sound from them and good life...
    thanx for all your advice

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'll echo Flatwound on the DR's. I used to swear allegiance to Rotosound, but the DR's last longer and are just about comparable in sound. I couldn't afford to change strings every time out, like the guy I was trying to emulate, Entwistle.

If you can think of bassists whose tones you crave, a visit to their websites sometimes tells you which kinds they use, or, a visit to the manufacturers' websites usually has a list of endorsers.

6. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i think im gonna try the D'Addario XL's

if i dont like them that much i can always try something new next time around