Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ausf, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I recently picked up an '07 Highway One P.

Haven't played an electric in at least four years and a fretted in over twenty. Used Roto rounds on my Rick back in the jumpinaroundloud metal days and then D'A Supersoft flats on my Fretless Roadster for my Jazz-rock follow up.

So, now I'm playing a P just for giggles, have built some nice armor on my fingertips and have no intention of really gigging, but I'm thoroughly enjoying an hour or two a day playing.

Mainly looking for a punchy-mid with some brights for my slap and pop fun-time.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of scratch (wife and kids-ville for me) on monthly string changes and I haven't bought them in a long time so I'm a bit lost.

Where should I start looking (string-wise) based on your experiences?

Rotos, Fenders, DM, EB, D'As?

I started looking through previous posts, but my head's spinning and I promise I will not hold anyone accountable. I don't care if I work my way through 10 different types over the next few years, I'm just looking for a direction to begin...;)

2. strings choice is very personal
    however you could maybe first figure out what "type" of strings you like the most i mean i like rounds over flats and nickels over all others because it gives me the sound and feel i want
    you can start with D'As and DRs nickels, many say steels are harsh but i didnt really found them as harsh as they are known to be

3. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I'm sorry, I was planning on sticking with rounds, I should have made that clear. I'm just looking for suggestions based on the bass and the sound I described.

Something you guys and gals use that has some longevity as well as bright sound.

Kind of like the Fenders that came with it compared to Rotos, Ernies, etc...

4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    You mentioned a Ric in the jump-around-days. My old P Bass sounded great on DR Strings. I know you are a fingerstyle player but when I played a P plectum, it got really close to the mid growl of my Ric 4003.

I'm a big fan of the clang for DR High Beams for Stainless Steel RWs. The Low Riders are also great SS strings. A little fuller.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021