Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KrazzyJoe, Jul 31, 2003.

1. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Though I have a few other things to pick up(a few pedals, pedalboard) I am looking into what I will purchase as my next bass. I would like something with warm tones, thats got some nice electronics, hopefully a pickup selector. I purchased my first five string as my last bass and enjoy it, but it seems that the low B string becomes almost a drum rather than a guitar. I am open to getting another five string or going back to four. I would like a fretless, though that is not a neccesity. I would really like it you would reccomend certain pickups and that such, because I would like to get a bass custom made. I was looking at getting a five string thunderbird made, Gibson refuses so I am talking to a non-gibson builder.

I rambled on a bit there, but any suggestions?

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You didn't mention your price range, so I'll reccommend a few different ones. Normally I woudl push Spector all the way, but Spectors do not have very warm tone in most cases, and the only nice fretless models are the USA series.

Peavey is definately worth looking into. The Cirrus is available, fretted, fretless, and with 4,5, or 6 strings. It is also available in a plethora of woods and finishes with different electronics, including bartolini, which gives a very warm sound combined with some of the wood options. There must be at least 30 different Cirrus models. They are extremely good basses for the money and sound and play beautifully. You can't beat peavey customer service either. The Cirrus retails from $1100-$1800, depending on what model you get. I would also recommend trying out a warwich Thumb fretless in this price range- also a very warm and very solid tone monster.

For a few hundred less, you can try out Peavey's millenium series- the millenium 5 is a much nicer bass overall than the 4 due to various upgrades. I don't believe the 5 is available in fretless though.

I can't really think of any good warm-sounding basses for under $500 at the moment. There are tons of custom and botique basses that offer the qualities you listed however. I mostly shop for more edgy and clean sounding basses such as Spector, Ibanez, and Cort. I don't know if it will meet your criteria, but the Ibanez BTB is a wonderful bass with killer tone and looks. Don't bother with the 500 series or lower sound gear basses though.

3. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I will check out this Cirrus, sounds good. I enjoyed a fretless Pedulla that I tried out once. I do like those BTB's.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It's tough to figure out what you mean by "warm", when you haven't filled out your profile. If you'd do that, we'd be able to see what your current bass is, and estimate something warmer in comparison to that. So: fill out your profile!

BTW, welcome to Talkbass!

5. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    Sorry about that, I only have two basses, they are not very good.

Ibanez Soundgear210, four string.
    ESP B205, five string.

Both of those are low-range, I do wan't to get a very nice bass as my next, something expensive thats worth the money. Getting a custom made bass would be ideal.

6. KrazzyJoe

KrazzyJoe

Jul 31, 2003
    Oregon.
    I am also open to building a bass, but it seems that buying the parts seperately would be more spendy.