Suggstions for a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeCayING, Aug 1, 2003.

1. DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    I'm going to play at my high school talent show this year so I need a bigger, more powerful amp. It will be infront of the whole school in the auditorium so how big of an amp do you think I'll need? I have about $250-300 to spend. Any suggestions?
  2. Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    For 300$ you don't have many options. I learned that last year. Save up for something with balls.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    rent a bass rig!! I don't know how much it would cost though... I rented a small P.a. $35 for a weekend once. :cool:
  4. $250 is what, £160? For that you're not going to get anything better than a practice amp. If you're looking to gig to 200+ people, you'll need something in excess of 300watts, perhaps quite a bit more if you've got to keep up with a loud drummer and more than one guitar.

I suggest what Mcrelly said, rent an amp. PAs will do fine. Talent shows will probably have a decent PA already set up, so why not save yourself some money and just plug straight into the PA system?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Is there someone who could loan you a bigger amp.....or do it for $10 or so ???

- Is there going to be a decent PA so you could DI out of your amp and use that, too ???

- Otherwise, like Mcrelly says, rentals are an option......but are usually an expensive option.
    When I have to play somewhere that's too far to drive, I usually end up renting an SVT and that goes for around $50 a night.
    Many stores I've seen on the road have 4x10's for less money though. I think around $30 for a good one overnight.