1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Suggstions for a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeCayING, Aug 1, 2003.

1. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'm going to play at my high school talent show this year so I need a bigger, more powerful amp. It will be infront of the whole school in the auditorium so how big of an amp do you think I'll need? I have about $250-300 to spend. Any suggestions?

2. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    For 300$ you don't have many options. I learned that last year. Save up for something with balls.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    rent a bass rig!! I don't know how much it would cost though... I rented a small P.a. $35 for a weekend once. :cool:

4. $250 is what, £160? For that you're not going to get anything better than a practice amp. If you're looking to gig to 200+ people, you'll need something in excess of 300watts, perhaps quite a bit more if you've got to keep up with a loud drummer and more than one guitar.

I suggest what Mcrelly said, rent an amp. PAs will do fine. Talent shows will probably have a decent PA already set up, so why not save yourself some money and just plug straight into the PA system?

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Is there someone who could loan you a bigger amp.....or do it for $10 or so ???

- Is there going to be a decent PA so you could DI out of your amp and use that, too ???

- Otherwise, like Mcrelly says, rentals are an option......but are usually an expensive option.
    When I have to play somewhere that's too far to drive, I usually end up renting an SVT and that goes for around $50 a night.
    Many stores I've seen on the road have 4x10's for less money though. I think around $30 for a good one overnight.