Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sugguestions for a flexible distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, May 19, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I'm pklanning on eventually getting distortion, but id liek one that i can add as much or as little distortion as is appropriate. let teh suggestions begin.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, my first suggestion is going to be to read the distortion / overdrive pedal review mega thread at the top of the forum.

There are many many distortion / overdrive pedals, they all let you add as much or as little as you want, so you need to be more specific about what you want.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    David,

That thread was cut loose a while ago wasn't it? He''ll need to search.

Ted

4. boss odb-3. contrary to people's opinions about being noisy, that's the only real problem. i get a great sound out of mine, but it feeds back a little if you don't fully mute your strings

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Heres the Distortion mega thread

I've tried alot of distortion/od pedals for bass, and I've found many average, and a few excellent pedals. I use combination of pedals. A Fulltone bass-drive for OD/mild distortion (it's also capable of pretty thick, nasty distortion). and a Zvex Wooly Mammoth for fuzz-madness (not subtle at all).

6. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    The most versatile (and affordable) pedal I've found so far is the Ibanez PD7 Phathead.

Cheers,
    Alun

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I use a pair of pedals, as I've found switching the levels on the fly on OD/Distortion units to be a pain. Usually you end up having to turn one knob up, while adjusting another down.

I use the EHX Big Muff Pi, Russian, for distortion. It's got a nice fuzzy sound with tons of harmonics.

I use the EHX Hot Tubes for overdrive. It's nice and creamy, and fattens the sound up pretty well.

8. If you're looking for something that can be pretty subtle, try the Hartke Bass Attack. It's got general tone shaping features, but also has a harmonics knob that can add just a little sparkle on the far left, but can add more dirt than christina aguilara's crotch if you turn it all the way to the right.

As for the PD7 from Ibanez. I have one of those, and liked the tone, though it could get a bit feedbacky, but it broke with no abuse on my end. It was just normal wear and tear. None of my pedals have much more than shoe prints on them. Oh well. Still waiting for my Boss ODB3 to come in. Maybe I'll reverse my opinion of what you should try in a couple days.

(You could always get a tube amp too :) )

9. HomeBrew Electronics Big D - as of right now, my distortion of choice...5 way diode select (from warm, to fuzzy), hard/soft clipping selection, "bigger" switch and correxponding knob for even more gain/boost

i wanna try a fulltone bass drive, but i dont know how bad i want to...the homebrew electronics power screamer is also a very versatile overdrive, but not as much as the big-d, which is basically every type of distortion/overdrive you could ever want...AND it retains low end extremely well...i like using the 4th hardest sounding diode on hard clipping with the bigger switch on for some reall grumbly gritty distortion...the 1st diode is awesome for mild to gritty overdrive...costs about $190 i believe www.tonefactor.com sells HBE stuff

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I might wanna try that one, but how much does it go for in US$?
    and for everyone else please post price ranges I'm nbot looking to go anywhere higher than $40(at the moment)

11. Never tried it myself, but it was used for one of the most convincing distortions I've heard on "Am I Wry?" by Mew. Check it on the video (best sound quality and the full song is there), and remenber to turn of the background sound in the top right corner.

www.mewsite.com

Besides that I have an EBS Multidrive and it's really good for everything from almost clean sound with a little break up, and full distortion. Maybe it's not as brutal as a Big Muff, but it's good and very versatile. Check out www.ebs.bass.se for soundclips. Don't know the price in the US though.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    With $40 in dosh to spend, check out the classifieds on here, ebay, or some other site for used equipment.

Most of the pedals listed here retail for much higher. the ODB-3 is around $80-90. The PD7 is around $60-70. The Big Muff Russian is around $55. The Hot Tubes go from $150-225. Most of the others people mentioned are in the $100+ range.

I'm not sure about the DOD OD/Preamp.. Most DOD stuff is affordable, or you can get it on ebay for relatively cheap.

13. Alun

Alun

Jun 6, 2004
    Swansea,Wales,UK
    Endorsing Artist - Elixir strings,Markbass amplification
    I didn't know that! I love the Mew album but had never checked out their site, so thanks for the link

Cheers,
    Alun

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you're right, I didn't see that when it happened.

15. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You may want to try the Marshall Guv'nor II. An awesome pedal IMO, and very versatile.

Graeme

16. I love my Muff, but the only thing is its mainly "hardcore fuzz" at every setting.