Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suhr JBass # 3535 and its all mine!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBender, Sep 12, 2004.

1. You ever walk into a crowed room and meet the gaze of one person and one person only? Then everyone else just blurrs and time stands still. Your heart beats fast, your palms sweat,knees weak, your breathing is rapid and shallow.

Get to the emergency room your having a heart attack!!!

Well I never did belive in love at first sight but now I belive in love at first play!!!!

Yesterday at MAE in ft Lauderdale, took my amp in for some work and the bass manager said "hey you gotta check out what just arrived"

Cutting to the chase: John Suhr sure can build a Bass!!! I got his vintage J bass and it is phat!!!

What hooked me was the tone.... very deep, and dark and warm. almost velvety. And the constuction is flawless, it just conforms to me and is very very nice to play!!!

Ok Ok I know my head is in the clouds from my new love!!! yea its a Jbass clone, Yea another boutique Jbass...

But this is what a Jbass ought to be!!!

If you ever get a chance to play one make sure you have your check book handy!!!

2. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    IS that the sunburst one or another? Jeff showed me one and it was killer.

Enjoy it!

3. Yes ! its the sunburst with the tourtise PG.
    Thanx

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'll give that a big thumbs up! My fretless Benavente has a John Suhr dual coil and one of his 3 band pre amps. I just upgraded my fretted 5 to one of John's pre amps too. I much prefer Chris' carving (neck especially) but I LOVE John's pickups

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    please say hello to Jeff Kissinger when you see him next- i used to have his job at MAE many years ago-
    anyways, let's see that baby! and congrats- Adrian

6. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Jeff sure does have some nice basses, he took me into the warehouse one day and there are just boxes and boxes of gorgeous basses back there.

7. Ok this is the best I can do with the piece of $hit camera that I have but its somthing.

And yes Jeff K is a great guy!!!

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You did a good job.

Suhr basses are very nice!

:cool:

9. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Congrats on the Suhr bass, I took the plunge on one in March and have never looked back. I also have to say that it kicks my F Bass BN 5's butt. I have a natuaral finish, one piece Ash body w/Birdseye fb and went with the Vol/Bal/act Treb/act Bass and it is great! I've been meaning to do a write-up on it with pics and will do it soon.

I don't know what he uses for a finish on the back of the neck but man is it smooth, I've never felt anything like it before. The construction is top notch from head to toe. Now if we can only convince him to do a 5-string, if he did I would order one in a heartbeat if the specs like string spacing were wide enough and probably sell the F Bass to do it. I've e-mailed him about doing one and also posted on his message board with no response.

I can't believe more people have not posted about his basses, they are a hidden treasure I guess. Anyone that is a J Bass fan should try one out, you will love them!

10. Yeah, Jeff turned me onto that very bass when it came in, and I did some serious hemmin' and hawwin' and lookin' into my real 'need' for it (I had recently commissioned Mr. Sadowsky to build me a P/J)...so I had to pass. Very nice jazz though. Suhr makes a fine instrument.

11. Yeah I did a lot of hemin and hawin my self over a lot of differnt basses, (really nice high end ones)was driving my self nuts!! But that Suhr was love at first sight!!!!! Just somthing about it. Good luck with the sadowsky PJ thats gooing to be really niccccceeeee :hyper:

I agree , the finish on the neck is smmmoooooth. I just can't seem to put it down. I was thinking of getting a 5er, next year Probably a sadowsky, but if Suhr would do one ?????

12. Yeah...toss a coin. I don't think there's much of a chance for error in making a decision between either of those two.
    The idea of a Suhr 5J is one that should probably pursued by John (and you); and who's got one? (You could be the first...#0001)!

13. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    That's a beauty of a bass - John (Suhr) does it ALL at his shop ... literally, the only people he is beholding to are the suppliers of RAW materials.

Not only does he build great 6 string guitars but he is a very talented amp builder as well...

Unfortunately, the downside is that John's got many projects in the cue and basses are not his major priority...

he builds one bitchin bass that is second to none - buts it's unlikely that youre going to get him to do special things that stray too far from his masterplan...

just my opinion .... :ninja:

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    ew, MAE ...

Jeff is great, the rest of the staff :spit:
    I went in there when Jeff wasn't there, they didn't have a clue about anything, and were less than willing to find out.

But congrats on the bass, I loved the Status they had there 2 weeks ago.

15. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI

You are right about that for sure, I think basses are his last concern and he doesn't seem too concerned about building them with the exception that they are quality all the way. I did ask if he was going to have an option of a Quilt or Flame Maple top and he did say that down the road he will offer it but, I'm pretty sure he is not too interested right now in offering a five string bass. I have let it be known that I would buy one if he did.

16. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    yes correct you are ...

at some point he'll build a slightly downsized jazz ... akin to the Rudy's days and the treasured Pensa Suhr bass ..

eye candy tops and all ... :D

17. Jeff - the only reason to even go in there. Is that Status the green one? You could get a 'give it to your mama' deal on that one...I guarantee ya that.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    now, where have i heard THAT before.... :rolleyes:

:D